Why is the Time Constant Used in Solving Inductance Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a practice problem involving charging an inductor. The author has solved part a) correctly and is struggling with part b). They provide a walkthrough of the problem and question how the time and time constant were assumed or calculated. The answer lies in the fact that the problem and the example have a time of t = 1.0*tau, resulting in t/tau = 1 and e^(t/tau) = e^1.
exitwound
This is not a homework problem, but practice. I have the answer. I need to know why.

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

[tex]i=\frac{E}{R}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex] "charging" an Inductor

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part a) correctly.

[tex]i=\frac{E}{R}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex]
[tex].8\frac{E}{R}=\frac{E}{R}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex]
[tex].2 = e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}[/tex]
[tex]ln .2 = \frac{-t}{\tau}[/tex]
[tex]t= 8.45\mu s[/tex]

Part B is stumping me. I have a walkthrough of the problem but I don't understand why they do what they do. Here's the walkthrough.
At [itex]t = 1.0\tau[/itex], the current in the circuit is:
[tex]i=\frac{E}{R}(1-e^{-1.0})[/tex]

Maybe I'm just missing something stupid, but how do they end up with [itex]-t/\tau[/itex]= -1? If [itex]\tau[/itex] is the time constant of the inductance (L/R), why do they "assume" or how do they calculate that t=1 and [itex]\tau[/itex]=1?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem and the example you have "at time t = 1.0*τ" so that is why
e^(t/τ) = e^(1.0*τ/τ) = e^1

Oh. I see. I think I was just misunderstood what they were saying. Thanks.

1. What is inductance in an RL circuit?

Inductance in an RL circuit is a measure of the ability of a circuit to create a magnetic field when a current passes through it. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in henries (H).

2. How does inductance affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

Inductance in an RL circuit causes a delay in the flow of current, as the changing magnetic field creates a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the flow of current. This results in a phase shift between the current and voltage in the circuit.

3. What factors affect the inductance in an RL circuit?

The inductance in an RL circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, the length and cross-sectional area of the coil, and the permeability of the core material. Additionally, the presence of any nearby magnetic fields can also affect the inductance.

4. How does inductance impact the energy stored in an RL circuit?

Inductance in an RL circuit stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. When the current through the circuit changes, the magnetic field also changes, which causes the energy to be stored or released. The amount of energy stored is directly proportional to the inductance value.

5. What is the formula for calculating inductance in an RL circuit?

The formula for calculating inductance in an RL circuit is L = (N^2 * μ * A)/l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. The unit of inductance, henries, can also be expressed as volts per ampere (V/A).