Inductance of a coil (negative inductance?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the i-V relation across a solenoid and the use of the passive sign convention. The individual is seeking clarification and provides a sketch for illustration. Some links are shared for further understanding and the individual notes that they will give it more thought. The conversation also mentions the correct voltage drop across an inductor.
eehsun
Hi everyone,
I encountered a problem as a part of the solution of which I needed to get the i-V relation across a solenoid to gain some intution in the other parts of the problem, which is the well known expression
VL=LdiL/dt, where V and i are referenced with respect to the passive sign convention.
Nothing tricky here, just basic stuff - however I wanted to quickly verify this before I moved on in the problem. The following is a simple MSpaint sketch that I have just created for illustrative purposes

aaxe8o.png

The rest of the details are in the above picture. The question I had in mind is why I am not able to derive the simple relation VL=LdiL/dt for an inductor (solenoid in this case), even though I referenced everything in line with the passive sign convention?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas? Something I may be overlooking?

This may help.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html#c2

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/indcur.html#c1

http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Inductance/Solenoid.html

Note in the last link:
This emf is called self-induced since it is the magnetic field of each loop that is creating an emf in the all the other loops including itself.

The negative sign means that the self-induced emf is opposite to the emf creating the original changing current.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give this some more thought and follow it up thereafter.
Many thanks for the response!

Note: I know how an inductor should behave under a time-varying excitation current and in this context I know why it makes sense for an inductor to have the particular i-V relation that it does have, V = Ldi/dt. I just have a problem showing this through Maxwell's eqns, but I think I'll hopefully manage to see the error in my approach if I give it some more thought.

The voltage drop across an inductor is -L dI/dt and not L dI/dt.
Your first drawing is O.K. if dI/dt>0 and you consider the initial point is where the current enters the inductor and the output where the current exits the inductor. From that drawing you can easily see the voltage drop is negative (look at the plus and minus signs). That expalins everything.

1. What is inductance and how does it relate to a coil?

Inductance is the property of a circuit or component that resists changes in current flow. In a coil, inductance is created by the magnetic field that is generated when current flows through the coil.

2. How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called henrys (H) and is typically measured using an inductance meter. The value of inductance can also be calculated using the number of turns in the coil, the coil's dimensions, and the material used to make the coil.

3. Can the inductance of a coil be negative?

No, the inductance of a coil cannot be negative. Inductance is a positive value that represents the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field of the coil.

4. How does the number of turns in a coil affect its inductance?

The number of turns in a coil directly affects its inductance. The more turns a coil has, the higher its inductance will be. This is because more turns create a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a higher amount of stored energy.

5. What is the purpose of a negative inductance?

Negative inductance is not a physically possible concept. However, some circuits may exhibit behavior that can be described as "negative inductance" due to the cancellation of inductance by other components in the circuit. This is a mathematical concept and does not refer to an actual negative value of inductance.