Inductance not working in simple circuit

In summary, your inductor has a small inductance and is only good for direct current. Alternating current might work better with your setup. Adding iron to the coil will increase the inductance.
JeffMandell
I want to create a simple circuit consisting of a power source and an inductor.

I have a simple circuit consisting of a battery and a wire wound into a solenoid, then separated by a thin layer of air is another solenoid that is connected to a multimeter. Both solenoids have a similar diameter to a quarter and are about 40 turns. The battery is 9 Volts. The first solenoid gets hot when the circuit is closed so I know that the battery works.

My problem is that I am not seeing a reading on the multimeter.

My concern is that the duracell 9 Volt battery is a form of direct current and I think that I need to be using alternating current. If this is the case what forms of alternating current can be used for such an experiment. My second concern is that the secondary solenoid does not complete a circuit (both ends of the coil attach to a multimeter). Where should the ends of the solenoid go to complete the circuit.

Here's a cool link to show how awesome inductance can be:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need AC. It is a *changing* magnetic field that induces an electric field (and hence a voltage)

If there is a voltage across the secondary, the multimeter will measure it.

Here's a cool link to show how awesome inductance can be:

You noticed the difference between your two inductors in the video and the ones you have made? For one the daimeter and secondly presumably the number of turns.

Simply, for an air coil inductor, L = μ[itex]_{o}[/itex] N[itex]^{2}[/itex] A / l
where
μ[itex]_{o}[/itex] is the permeabitlity of free space ( 4∏ x 10exp(-7) ) H/m
N is the number of turns
A is the cross sectional area in square meters
l is the length of the air coil

Different formulas apply for differennt variations of how the coil is wound ( flat , short etc )

So, with your small size ( about a quarter ) , low turns (40 ), and short length , the inductance of your coil is quite small.

In addition, you also noticed in the video that when the individual moved the coils farther apart or at right angles to one another, the sound from the speaker became more faint. What is happening is that the mutual inductance between the two coils became less and and less wherby less lines of magnetism from the first coil found their way through the coil of the second. Two coils at right angles to one another theoretically have no coupling.

You can increase the inductance by winding the coil on a material of high permeability and the mutual inductance by winding both coils on the same. Iron is one such material.

The formula for the voltage across the ideal inductor is v(t) = L di/dt. Theoretically connecting an ideal voltage DC source to an ideal inductor would give a continious rate of change of current so that the inductance voltage would equal the supply voltage,

The catch is the word ideal. Voltage sources have internal resistance and, such as your 9 v battery, have a limiting amount of current they can produce. Real inductors have a resistance of the wire ( which applis more to your setup ).

In your case, as you connect the inductor to your 9 v battery the voltage drop is split between the inductance of the coil and its resistance as they are both in series, As time progresses and the di/dt ( rate of change of current ) across the inductor causes the current i to increase, the i r voltage drop across the resistance increases. Eventually the current becomes so large that the ir drop equals 9 v and the di/dt becomes zero.

For your setup this should have in milliseconds and your mutlimeter would record only a glitch of the needle movement or none at all. An oscilliscope setup to record the glitch for you to see the voltage or current in the second inductor might be a option.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is inductance and how does it work in a simple circuit?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In a simple circuit, inductance is created by a coil of wire and is measured in units called henries. When an electrical current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is generated, which in turn creates a back-emf that resists changes in the current.

Why is inductance not working in my simple circuit?

There could be several reasons why inductance is not working in your simple circuit. One possible reason is that the coil of wire is not properly connected to the rest of the circuit. Make sure the connections are secure and that there are no breaks in the wire. Another reason could be that the inductance value of the coil is too low, or that the frequency of the current is too high for the inductor to work effectively.

Can inductance be turned off in a simple circuit?

Inductance cannot be turned off in a simple circuit, as it is a fundamental property of the circuit. However, its effects can be reduced by adding a capacitor in parallel to the inductor, which creates a resonant circuit that can minimize the inductor's back-emf.

How can I increase the inductance in a simple circuit?

To increase the inductance in a simple circuit, you can add more turns to the coil or use a larger coil with a greater cross-sectional area. Another way is to use a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or ferrite, which can increase the magnetic field and thus the inductance.

What are some real-world applications of inductance in simple circuits?

Inductance plays a crucial role in many electronic devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in power supplies, filters, and tuning circuits. In addition, inductors are essential components in radio and telecommunications systems, as they help to filter out unwanted frequencies and improve signal quality.