How do you calculate inductance in an RL circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the inductance in an RL circuit with a given resistance and a current that increases to one fourth its final value in 1.40 seconds. Various equations are suggested, including V=IR and I= V/R(1-e^(Rt/L)). It is noted that the value of V does not matter in this case, and the time constant equation is used to solve for the inductance. The question of whether inductance is negative is also brought up.
GreenLantern674
[SOLVED] Inductance RL Circuit

Calculate the inductance in an RL circuit in which R = 0.300 and the current increases to one fourth its final value in 1.40 s.

I tried doing this with V=IR, (I know, the easy way didn't work).
I also tried I= V/R(1-e^(Rt/L)) but I don't know what V would be in this equation. Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenLantern674 said:
Calculate the inductance in an RL circuit in which R = 0.300 and the current increases to one fourth its final value in 1.40 s.

I tried doing this with V=IR, (I know, the easy way didn't work).
I also tried I= V/R(1-e^(Rt/L)) but I don't know what V would be in this equation. Can someone help me out here?

The value of V itself will not matter -- you are dealing with ratios and the time constant equation that you show. Just leave it as a variable "V", and see if you can solve for the inductance...

Okay, so what you said got me thinking, and I remembered that the time constant equals 1/t and that equals L/R so I set 1/1.4 = L/0.3 but that didn't work. Am I on the right track?
P.S. is inductance negative?

Never mind. I got it.

What is an inductance RL circuit?

An inductance RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both an inductor (L) and a resistor (R). The inductor is a passive component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat.

How does an inductance RL circuit work?

When an AC voltage is applied to an inductance RL circuit, the inductor resists the change in current and causes a phase shift between the voltage and current. This results in an oscillating current and voltage in the circuit.

What is the formula for calculating the inductance in an RL circuit?

The formula for calculating the inductance (L) in an RL circuit is L = V/I, where V is the voltage across the inductor and I is the current through the inductor.

How does inductance affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

Inductance is responsible for the phenomenon of self-induction, which causes the inductor to resist changes in current. This results in a delay in current and a phase shift between the voltage and current in the circuit. Inductance also affects the overall impedance of the circuit, leading to changes in the frequency response.

What are some real-life applications of inductance RL circuits?

Inductance RL circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also found in power transmission systems to regulate voltage and current, and in electric motors to control speed and torque. Inductance RL circuits are also used in filters and oscillators in various electronic circuits.