Induction & Energy: Rod Moving Down Inclined Surface in Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a rod is moving down an inclined surface in a uniform magnetic field. In the steady state, the velocity of the rod remains constant and the work-kinetic energy theorem is used to explain this. However, there is a discrepancy in the calculation of the steady state velocity due to the inclusion of dissipation energy in the wire. It is mentioned that there is an induced current and a conducting wire needs to be connected to the rod for this to occur. The conversation concludes with the explanation that the external forces acting on the rod cancel each other out, resulting in no change in kinetic energy and power being dissipated by the resistor.
hokhani
suppose a rod of mass m and resistance R,is going down the inclined surface in the uniform magnetic field( see figure).
in the steady state the velosity of rod will be constant. if we use the work-kinetic energy theorem,
W= delta K
deltak=0(kinetic energy is constant)
you know W is pertaining to gravity force and magnetic force
and i think W also include dissipation energy in wire namely (i^2)R(deltat)
from this point of view i can't get the correct response for the stady state velocity of rod
(it is double of the correct answer)?!

Attachments

• figure.JPG
    figure.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
How is there a force 'ILB' when there is no current through the rod?

MR ABDUL QADEER:
there is an inducted current.
please guide me
thanks

hokhani said:
there is an inducted current.

Not unless you connect a conducting wire across the rod. If it simply moves on the surface there will be an induced E.M.F. but no current.

exuse me
I forgot to say:
it forms a circuit
please guide me now

Ok.
If you analyse the external forces acting on the rod during its motion with constant velocity, you will find that the work done by these forces is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. So they cancel each other giving change in K.E. of rod = 0, which is in accordance with Work-Energy theorem. One can also say that the power dissipated in the resistor equals that due to weight when the velocity of the rod becomes constant.

What is induction?

Induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field.

How does induction occur in a rod moving down an inclined surface in a uniform magnetic field?

As the rod moves down the incline, it cuts through the magnetic field, creating a change in the magnetic flux. This change induces an electric current in the rod, according to Faraday's law of induction.

What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current in the rod?

The magnitude of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the rod, the angle of inclination, and the length and material of the rod.

How can the direction of the induced current be determined?

The direction of the induced current can be determined using Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

What is the relationship between the induced current and the kinetic energy of the rod?

The induced current in the rod is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the rod. As the rod moves faster, the induced current also increases, and vice versa.