Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction motor

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    As a EE student, I studied Induction motors: three and single phase. I saw somewhere that Tesla's autos are using induction motors feeded by batteries. But ive never heard about DC induction motors.. I also heard that Tesla autos have torque constant for every speed, but thats also not how induction motors behave. Any Ideas? Thanks! IMG_9140.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I would assume these vehicles use electronics to convert the battery's DC to an AC that can drive the AC motors. Possibly this inverter might produce 3 phase AC, with 3 phase motors being both light and powerful.

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

There is an inverter connected to the battery which converts dc into three phase ac.
    images (6).png

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4
    Thats enlighting for the power supply question. How about the constant torque?

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5
    This rate of DC-AC conversions are mostly controlled with DSPs in every detail. Phase, frequency, current (even waveform can be changed , if one has some wicked ideas) as function of thrust and speed - you can do as you please as long as the hardware can endure it.

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7
    Guys, I understood both the Dc-Ac conversion process in order to feed the 3phases induction motor, and the idea of controling the parameters to keep the output torque constant. I thank you all for the attention and help. Its enough for me, for me, the topic may now be closed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted