Induction Coil Help - Output Voltage & Tesla Coil Use

• Thread starter mahdir24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil
In summary, the conversation revolves around using a 25mm spark gap induction coil with an input voltage of 6v DC. The main question is how to determine the output voltage and if it can be used as a substitute for a NST to power a 6'' Tesla coil. One person is using an induction coil for an experiment with hydrogen and the other suggests using the number of turns in the primary and secondary to calculate the output voltage. However, it is clarified that transformers, induction coils, and Tesla coils are different and a graph is mentioned as a way to estimate the output based on spark length.
mahdir24
ok, i recently acquired a 25mm spark gap induction coil. the input voltage is 6v dc. how can i know what the output voltage is? also, i want to use this as a substitue in place of a nst to power a 6'' tesla coil. will it work? i mean the basic idea is ot the a high voltage input and the induction coil can do that.
Please post back! Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,
i'm also using an induction coil to carryout an experiment in studying behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field.but i don't know much abt induction coils...i guess in order to calculate the output you have to know the no: of turns in the primary and the secondary...to determine the output voltage...from E=V/d u can determine the field...
am i correct?

amalmirando said:
hi,
i'm also using an induction coil to carryout an experiment in studying behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field.but i don't know much abt induction coils...i guess in order to calculate the output you have to know the no: of turns in the primary and the secondary...to determine the output voltage...from E=V/d u can determine the field...
am i correct?

No. Transformers, induction coils and Tesla coils are three different animals.

this graph gives a rough estimate of the output depending on the spark length

Attachments

• spark lengths.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 162

Hello there,

It's great that you have acquired a 25mm spark gap induction coil! In order to determine the output voltage of your coil, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the output terminals while the coil is in operation. Keep in mind that the output voltage may vary depending on the load and conditions, so it's a good idea to test it multiple times and take an average.

As for using the induction coil as a substitute for a NST (neon sign transformer) to power a 6'' Tesla coil, it is possible but may not be as efficient. The basic principle of a Tesla coil is to create a high voltage input and the induction coil can certainly do that. However, a NST is specifically designed for high voltage output and may be more suitable for powering a Tesla coil.

If you do decide to use the induction coil, make sure to properly adjust the input voltage and monitor the output voltage to avoid any damage to the coil or your equipment. It's always a good idea to consult with an experienced individual or do thorough research before attempting to use any high voltage equipment.

Best of luck with your experiments!

1. What is an induction coil?

An induction coil is an electrical device that is used to convert low voltage direct current (DC) into high voltage alternating current (AC) through the process of electromagnetic induction. It typically consists of a primary coil and a secondary coil, which are wound around a common iron core.

2. How does an induction coil work?

An induction coil works by creating a changing magnetic field within the iron core through the use of a battery-powered interrupter. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the secondary coil, which is connected to a spark gap. When the current reaches a certain threshold, it jumps across the spark gap, creating a high voltage spark.

3. What is the output voltage of an induction coil?

The output voltage of an induction coil can vary depending on the design and construction of the coil, but it is typically in the range of thousands to millions of volts. This high voltage output is necessary for applications such as powering Tesla coils or producing high voltage sparks.

4. How can an induction coil be used with a Tesla coil?

An induction coil can be used with a Tesla coil as a high-voltage transformer. The secondary coil of the induction coil is connected to the primary coil of the Tesla coil, which is then powered by the induction coil's high voltage output. This allows the Tesla coil to produce even higher voltage sparks than it would be able to on its own.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using an induction coil?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when using an induction coil. It is important to ensure that the coil is properly insulated and that all connections are secure. It is also important to use caution when working with high voltage, as it can be dangerous. It is recommended to use protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses when operating an induction coil. Additionally, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer.