Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductoin coil help

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    ok, i recently acquired a 25mm spark gap induction coil. the input voltage is 6v dc. how can i know what the output voltage is? also, i wanna use this as a substitue in place of a nst to power a 6'' tesla coil. will it work? i mean the basic idea is ot the a high voltage input and the induction coil can do that.
    Please post back!! Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2
    hi,
    i'm also using an induction coil to carryout an experiment in studying behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field.but i don't know much abt induction coils....i guess in order to calculate the output you have to know the no: of turns in the primary and the secondary...to determine the output voltage....from E=V/d u can determine the field....
    am i correct?

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    No. Transformers, induction coils and Tesla coils are three different animals.

5. May 17, 2010 #4
    this graph gives a rough estimate of the output depending on the spark length

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook