1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductoin coil help

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    ok, i recently acquired a 25mm spark gap induction coil. the input voltage is 6v dc. how can i know what the output voltage is? also, i wanna use this as a substitue in place of a nst to power a 6'' tesla coil. will it work? i mean the basic idea is ot the a high voltage input and the induction coil can do that.
    Please post back!! Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2
    hi,
    i'm also using an induction coil to carryout an experiment in studying behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field.but i don't know much abt induction coils....i guess in order to calculate the output you have to know the no: of turns in the primary and the secondary...to determine the output voltage....from E=V/d u can determine the field....
    am i correct?

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    No. Transformers, induction coils and Tesla coils are three different animals.

5. May 17, 2010 #4
    this graph gives a rough estimate of the output depending on the spark length

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook