Integrating (9-x^2)^{5/2}: Solving Integration Frustration

• Thread starter negatifzeo
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for pointing out my error.You are, of course, correct. I should have been more careful. Thanks for pointing out my error.In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \int (9-x^2)^{5/2} dx using the substitution method. It is suggested to let x=3sin\theta and dx=3 cos \theta to simplify the integral. After some algebraic manipulation, the integrand becomes cos^6 \theta. It is then recommended to use a reduction formula or look up the integral in a table of integrals. There is also a note to be careful with the exponent of the cosine term.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

[itex]\int (9-x^2)^{5/2} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Letting[tex] x=3sin\theta[/tex] and [tex] dx=3 cos \theta[/tex],

[itex] 243\int(1-sin^2\theta)^{5/2}3 cos \theta d\theta[/tex]

Taking the 3 out gets

[tex] 729 \int (1-sin^2 \theta)^{5/2} cos \theta d\theta [/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I combine everything algebraically and then do a u sub? Or do I integrate by parts here?

Physics news on Phys.org
negatifzeo said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int (9-x^2)^{5/2} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Letting[tex] x=3sin\theta[/tex] and [tex] dx=3 cos \theta[/tex],

[itex] 243\int(1-sin^2\theta)^{5/2}3 cos \theta d\theta[/tex]

Taking the 3 out gets

[tex] 729 \int (1-sin^2 \theta)^{5/2} cos \theta d\theta [/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I combine everything algebraically and then do a u sub? Or do I integrate by parts here?

Well, you could remember that [tex] (1 - sin^2 \theta) = cos^2 \theta [/tex] so that your integrand becomes [tex] cos^6 \theta [/tex] and then look that integral up in a table of integrals, or look up a reduction formula for [tex] cos^6 \theta [/tex]. You'll be able to integrate the expression that results from the reduction formula.

AEM said:
Well, you could remember that [tex] (1 - sin^2 \theta) = cos^2 \theta [/tex] so that your integrand becomes [tex] cos^6 \theta [/tex] and then look that integral up in a table of integrals, or look up a reduction formula for [tex] cos^6 \theta [/tex]. You'll be able to integrate the expression that results from the reduction formula.

Careful; [tex](\cos^2 \theta)^{5/2}=|\cos^5 \theta|\neq\cos^5 \theta[/tex] in general.

gabbagabbahey said:
Careful; [tex](\cos^2 \theta)^{5/2}=|\cos^5 \theta|\neq\cos^5 \theta[/tex] in general.

You are, of course, correct. I should have been more careful.

1. What is integration frustration?

Integration frustration refers to the feeling of difficulty or struggle that can arise when trying to combine different elements or systems together to work seamlessly.

2. Why is integration frustration a common problem?

Integration frustration is a common problem because it involves merging different components or processes that were not originally designed to work together. This can lead to compatibility issues and technical challenges.

3. What are some examples of integration frustration?

Examples of integration frustration include trying to connect different software systems, integrating new technology with existing infrastructure, and merging data from various sources into one cohesive system.

4. How can integration frustration be resolved?

Integration frustration can be resolved by carefully planning and testing the integration process, ensuring that all components are compatible, and having a backup plan in case of any issues. It may also be helpful to seek support from experts or consultants.

5. What are the benefits of successful integration?

Successful integration can improve efficiency, streamline processes, and reduce costs by eliminating duplication of efforts. It can also provide better insights and data management, leading to improved decision-making and business growth.