Inelastic collision and conservation of energy

In summary, the problem involves a suspended frame with a mass of 0.2 kg and a 0.2 kg lump of putty dropped from a height of 0.3 m. The frame stretches the spring by 0.05 m, and the goal is to find the maximum distance the frame moves downward. Using conservation of energy and solving for the final velocity of the putty, the kinetic energy of the frame and putty combined is calculated. However, the spring stretch during the putty-fall process and the effect of gravity during the spring stretch process were initially overlooked, leading to an incorrect answer. After considering these factors and solving the quadratic equation, the correct maximum distance is found to be 0.182 m
AERam
I've been working on this problem for a long time now, and my answer's off by about 0.1 m. I've looked at the problem several times, and I can't figure out why my answer's off. I would appreciate any help. Here's the problem, and my work.

"A 0.2 kg frame, when suspended from a coil spring, is found to stretch the spring 0.05 m. A 0.2 kg lump of putty is dropped from rest onto the frame from a height of 0.3 m. Find the maximum distance the frame moves downward."

My coordinate system is up - positive, down - negative

First I solved for k with the given information.

-Weight = Force of spring
-mg = kx
-(0.2)(9.8) = k (-0.05)
k = 39.2 N/m

Next, I solved for the final velocity of the putty blob at the instant that it strikes the bottom of the frame. I used conservation of energy; gravitational potential energy is turned into kinetic energy.

mgh = .5 m v^2 <- m cancels
2gh = v^2
2(9.8)(0.3)= V^2
v= -2.43 m/s

Since the problem says that 'putty' is dropped, I assumed that they were implying an inelastic collision will occur. If there's an inelastic collision, then not all of the kinetic energy gained from the loss of height is converted into elastic potential energy; some K must be lost to stick the putty to the frame.

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v <- the frame is initially at rest, so v2=0
m1v1 = (m1 + m2)v
(0.2)(2.43) = (0.2 + 0.2)v
v = 1.215 m/s

The combined kinetic energy of the blob and frame is what I presume will move the spring down. Since the blob and frame are initially moving, then they posess kinetic energy that must eventually become elastic potential energy. I used the above velocity to find the kinetic energy of the two frame and putty combined.

.5mv^2 = .5 k x^2 <- .5 cancels
mv^2 = k x ^2
(0.4)(1.215)^2 = (39.2)x^2
x=.123m

Here's where some confusion comes in. How do I factor in the weight of the blob? Is it already included in the above calculations somehow? Otherwise, I would have to add the displacement due to the added weight separately. The problem states that a 0.2 kg mass displaced the spring 0.05m, so I can add 0.05m to my answer. Even then, the answer becomes .173 m, and that still isn't what the book has as the answer.

The answer in the back of the book says that the whole shebang is displaced by 0.182m.

What am I doing wrong? I feel that I must've overlooked some subtlety somewhere, but I can't see what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really subtle ... you ignored the spring stretch during the putty-fall process and ignored gravity during the spring stretch process.

In condition C, just after the inelastic collision has completed,
there is gravitational PE and spring PE as well as KE, nonzero.

You have a choice as to where to measure height from, for mgh,
but the spring has a preferred reference point ("relaxed" length)
and is non-linear (so adding a constant to it DOES make a difference)

Sorry to break it to you, but you've got a linear term, too.

There will be 2 roots to the quadratic ... condition D is
the bottom root, where it stops on the way down
(the thing will later stop at the other root, at the top of oscillation).

Last edited:
Awesome!

You're right, I completely neglected the work done by gravity during all this; I added an (Fd cos 0) to the right side of the conservation of energy equation to account for the work done by gravity and solved the quadratic on my calculator. Phew, glad that's over.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where some of the kinetic energy is lost and is not conserved. This means that the total energy before and after the collision is not the same.

2. How does the conservation of energy relate to inelastic collisions?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, and is not conserved.

3. What is an example of an inelastic collision?

One example of an inelastic collision is when a ball is dropped and bounces on the ground. Some of the kinetic energy from the ball is transferred into sound and heat energy when it hits the ground, resulting in a decrease in its overall energy.

4. Can the total energy after an inelastic collision be more than the total energy before?

No, the total energy after an inelastic collision will always be less than the total energy before. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of other types of energy, as stated by the conservation of energy.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of a collision, can affect the amount of kinetic energy that is lost in an inelastic collision. A lower coefficient of restitution means that more kinetic energy is lost, resulting in a less elastic collision.