Find Mass of Passenger Train in Wagon Collision

In summary, we are given a collision between a wagon train and a passenger train at rest, where the wagon train has a mass of 3.18*10^4kg and the trains stick together after the collision. The passenger train loses 27% of its kinetic energy after the collision. Using the formula for inelastic collision, v(final)= m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2, where one of the velocities is zero, we can solve for the mass of the passenger train by setting the final velocity as a fraction of the initial velocity. This leaves us with one unknown, which we can solve for using the given information.
coltsamuel96
hello, can someone help me with this,
a wagon train of given mass collides with a passenger train at rest... the train loses 27% of kinetic energy after the collision... find the mass of the passenger train...
so what i did is, i put this formula for inelastic collision,v(final)= m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2... since v2 is in rest , m2=(m1v1/v(final))-m1... so my question is what will be the velocities before and after collision...i did, m2=(m1*1/.73)-m1...but i have a feeling that this is wrong... please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, coltSamuel.

You can write ½ mv² = .73*½ mV² and find that the reduced velocity is a number multiplied by the original velocity.

I don't see how you can solve for the mass with unknown initial V, unknown final v for the second train and two unknown masses. One equation, 4 unknowns. Hopeless?
Do we know anything else? Do the two trains stick together after the collision?

It is always a good idea to write the question here exactly as it was given to you - maybe one of us can spot some information in there that you missed.

the mass of the wagon train is 3.18*10^4kg... and the trains stick together after the collision...

You need the initial speed of the train. What is it?

there´s no intial velocity... only thing given is the loss of K.E... (27%)

Okay, I think we have enough to do it now!
v(final)= m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2
is a good start. One of those v's must be zero since the passenger train was initially at rest. The final v is known to be a certain fraction of the initial velocity (I suggested you work it out with the KE formula earlier). I think you will then be able to cancel the remaining velocity, put in your known mass and have only one unknown remaining!

Related to Find Mass of Passenger Train in Wagon Collision

What is the purpose of finding the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision?

The mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision is important for understanding the force and impact of the collision, which can help improve safety measures and prevent accidents in the future.

How is the mass of a passenger train calculated in a wagon collision?

The mass of a passenger train can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force of the collision, m is the mass of the train, and a is the acceleration caused by the collision. The force can be determined by analyzing the damage and deformation caused by the collision.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision, such as the condition of the train and wagon, the speed and angle of collision, and the type of material used in the construction of the train and wagon.

What other methods can be used to determine the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision?

In addition to using the formula F=ma, other methods such as computer simulations and physical experiments can also be used to determine the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision. These methods can provide more accurate and detailed results.

How can knowing the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision benefit train safety?

Knowing the mass of a passenger train in a wagon collision can help engineers and safety experts design and implement better safety measures, such as reinforced structures and improved braking systems, to prevent or minimize the impact of similar collisions in the future.