Solving the Inelastic Collision of 3 Balls

In summary, the problem involves three balls with different masses and initial velocities colliding inelastically and moving off at a given velocity and angle. The equations for momentum in both the x and y directions were used to solve for the velocity of Ball 2. There was a mistake in the initial setup of the problem, but it was corrected and the correct answer was obtained.
kk727

Homework Statement

2ur1lwy.png

Ball 1: 3kg, 7 m/s initially
Ball 2: 4kg, V m/s initially
Ball 3: 5kg, 10 m/s initially

Find V if the system collides inelastically and moves off at 2 m/s at 5 degrees above the horizontal.

Homework Equations

p + p = p + p (in both x and y directions)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the equations for momentum in both directions (sin and cosine). I ended up with 4v*sinθ = 13.7558 and 4v*cosθ = 50.608. I then solved for θ and got 15.2 degrees and an initial velocity for Ball 2 of 13.11 m/s. I don't believe this is the answer my teacher had in class.

My only question is, when setting up the problem, would you consider the velocity of Ball 3 to be negative? That's how I calculated it. I have no problems with the calculations, just the setting up of the problem. I didn't write all of my work down, but it was something like this:

(sin 15)(7)(3) + (sin θ)(v)(4) + (5)(-10)(sin 20) = (2)(sin5)(12)

And I simplified it, did the same for cosines, solved for θ, and then plugged into solve for V.

Am I way off?

:/

Physics news on Phys.org
(sin 15)(7)(3) should be negative, too - the vertical component is down.

Thank you! I realized I had my signs all wrong...stupid mistake! I figured it out and got the right answer!

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision is not the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How do you calculate the final velocities of 3 balls in an inelastic collision?

To calculate the final velocities of 3 balls in an inelastic collision, you can use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy principles. This involves setting up equations for the initial and final momenta and energies of the system and solving for the final velocities of the balls. However, this calculation can become quite complex as it involves multiple objects colliding with each other, so it is often easier to use computer simulations to solve the problem.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision between 3 balls?

The outcome of an inelastic collision between 3 balls can be affected by various factors such as the masses and velocities of the balls, the angle at which they collide, and the elasticity (or lack thereof) of the objects involved. The surface on which the collision takes place can also play a role, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

4. Can an inelastic collision result in a decrease in velocity for one or more balls?

Yes, an inelastic collision can result in a decrease in velocity for one or more balls. This is because some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, causing the balls to slow down. In fact, in a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects will stick together and have the same final velocity.

5. How can the results of an inelastic collision of 3 balls be applied in the real world?

The principles of inelastic collisions are used in many real-world applications, such as car crashes, sports, and industrial machinery. Understanding how energy is conserved and transferred during a collision can help engineers design safer vehicles and equipment, and can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of athletes in sports like billiards, pool, and golf.