Solve Physics Homework: Pendulum Tension Force

In summary: At the bottom of the incline Fg = mg sin θ. (The normal force is mg cos θ, and the friction force is negligible.)At the bottom of the incline, T = mg sin θ + ma, where a is the linear acceleration down the incline. (Here again, the normal force is mg cos θ.)If I were doing this, I'd solve for the acceleration, and from that, the time to get to the bottom. Then I'd check to make sure that the answer made sense (in particular, the sphere should get there first. I'd also check the other two answers to make sure that they're wrong, and why).(Oh
zumi78878

Homework Statement

A sphere and a cylinder of equal mass and radius are simultaneously released from rest on the same inclined plane and roll without sliding down the incline. Then:

A. the sphere reaches the bottom first because it has the greater inertia
B. the cylinder reaches the bottom first because it picks up more rotational energy
C. the sphere reaches the bottom first because it picks up more rotational energy
D. they reach the bottom together
E. none of the above are true

I have no idea where to even start to solve this.A hoop, a uniform disk, and a uniform sphere, all with the same mass and outer radius,
start with the same speed and roll without sliding up identical inclines. Rank the o
according to how high they go, least to greatest.

A) hoop, disk, sphere
B) disk, hoop, sphere
C) sphere, hoop, disk
D) sphere, disk, hoop'
E) hoop, sphere, disk

I know:
hoop: I=mr2
disk: I = 1/2 mr2
sphere: I = 2/5mr2

since hoop has greatest rotational kinetic energy, it will go the highest?

9. A particle is in simple harmonic motion with period T. At time t = 0 it is halfway between
the equilibrium point and an end point of its motion, traveling toward the end point. The next
time it is at the same place is:
A. t = T
B. t = T/2
C. t = T/4
D. t = T/8
E. none of the above

I got the answer of T/4... but answer is E?
46. A simple pendulum consists of a small ball tied to a string and set in oscillation. As the
pendulum swings the tension force of the string is:
A. constant
B. a sinusoidal function of time
C. the square of a sinusoidal function of time
D. the reciprocal of a sinusoidal function of time
E. none of the above

my answer is B, since tension is greatest at the bottom of the swing and it oscillates so the tension when displayed on a F vs T graph it goes up and down like a sine function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zumi78878 said:
A. the sphere reaches the bottom first because it has the greater inertia
B. the cylinder reaches the bottom first because it picks up more rotational energy
C. the sphere reaches the bottom first because it picks up more rotational energy
D. they reach the bottom together
E. none of the above are true

I have no idea where to even start to solve this.
Start by quoting the moment of inertia of each. Will a higher moment make the object go faster or slower?
A hoop, a uniform disk, and a uniform sphere, all with the same mass and outer radius,
start with the same speed and roll without sliding up identical inclines. Rank the o
according to how high they go, least to greatest.

A) hoop, disk, sphere
B) disk, hoop, sphere
C) sphere, hoop, disk
D) sphere, disk, hoop'
E) hoop, sphere, disk

I know:
hoop: I=mr2
disk: I = 1/2 mr2

since hoop has greatest rotational kinetic energy, it will go the highest?
Yes. So your answer is?
9. A particle is in simple harmonic motion with period T. At time t = 0 it is halfway between
the equilibrium point and an end point of its motion, traveling toward the end point. The next
time it is at the same place is:
A. t = T
B. t = T/2
C. t = T/4
D. t = T/8
E. none of the above

I got the answer of T/4... but answer is E?
Write down a generic equation for SHM. At what t values is it at half amplitude?
46. A simple pendulum consists of a small ball tied to a string and set in oscillation. As the
pendulum swings the tension force of the string is:
A. constant
B. a sinusoidal function of time
C. the square of a sinusoidal function of time
D. the reciprocal of a sinusoidal function of time
E. none of the above

my answer is B, since tension is greatest at the bottom of the swing and it oscillates so the tension when displayed on a F vs T graph it goes up and down like a sine function.
Yes, but functions other than sine can look like that.
Can you derive an equation for the tension?

haruspex said:
Start by quoting the moment of inertia of each. Will a higher moment make the object go faster or slower?

cylinder: I = 1/2 mr2
is rotational inertia same as moment of inertia?

okay i did some calculations and this is what i got:

sphere: v2=(10/7)*g*h
cylinder: v2=(4/3)*g*h

so the sphere has the greatest velocity and should reach the bottom first?

and now with that, comes another question:

Two uniform cylinders have different masses and different rotational inertias. They simultaneously
start from rest at the top of an inclined plane and roll without sliding down the plane.
The cylinder that gets to the bottom first is:
A. the one with the larger mass
B. the one with the smaller mass
C. the one with the larger rotational inertia
D. the one with the smaller rotational inertia
E. neither (they arrive together)

the answer is: the one with the smaller rotational inertia reaches the bottom first?
but at the same time... we don't have mass so we can't really determine it?

haruspex said:
Yes. So your answer is?

answer is D?

haruspex said:
Write down a generic equation for SHM. At what t values is it at half amplitude?

x(t) = Acos(ωt)
A/2 = Acos(ωt)
1/2 = cos(ωt)
ωt = ∏/3 and 5∏/3?

and
1)
2∏f*t = ∏/3
2f*t = 1/3
f*t = 1/6
(1/T)*t = 1/6
t = T/6?

2)
(2∏/T)*t = 5∏/3
t = 5T/6?

haruspex said:
Yes, but functions other than sine can look like that.
Can you derive an equation for the tension?

i have no idea how to do that ahh. i have my final exam in 2 hours

i only know that:
mv2/r = T - Fgcosθ?

Last edited:
zumi78878 said:
Yes.
answer is D?
Yes.
x(t) = Acos(ωt +3∏/2)? is this the correct equation?
Anything of the form Acos(ωt), Asin(ωt), Acos(ωt+β), ... The phase won't matter because we're only interested in time differences, not an absolute time.
A/2 = ?
Take e.g. x= Asin(ωt). For what values of t will x = A/2?
mv2/r = T - Fgcosθ?
Thinking about this again, it seems to me that options B and C should be interpreted literally as T ~ sin(ωt+β) and T ~ sin2(ωt+β). That means you can rule those out on the basis that it's never zero. And you can rule out D because it's never infinite.
Using your equation (but I think you meant mgcosθ), you also know how v and θ vary as a function of time, right? So that gives you an equation for T as a function of time.
Now, as we know, a pendulum is only approximately SHM, so I'm going to assume that the same degree of approximation is intended in answering this question. And since you're short of time, I'll break the rules and just go ahead with an exposition.
θ = Asin(ωt) (say) where ω2=g/L
v = Aωcos(ωt)L
cos(θ) ≈ 1 - θ2/2
T = mA2ω2L2cos2(ωt)/L + mg(1-A2sin2(ωt)/2)
= mg{1+A2cos2(ωt)-A2sin2(ωt)/2}
which can be written in the form C + D*sin2(ωt).
So clearly it is not a constant.
(That said, I'm surprised the answer is quite so messy, so I may have made a mistake. It would only take an error in a sign and one in a factor of two to end up with T = constant, but I feel intuitively that wouldn't be right.)
Now, if the options B and C really meant to allow for T ~ constant + sin(ωt+β) or T ~ constant + sin2(ωt+β), then you might say the answer is C. However, you could further rewrite the expression as C' + D'*sin(2ωt+β). So if you take that interpretation then options B and C are the same.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Yes.

okay i did some calculations and this is what i got:

sphere: v2=(10/7)*g*h
cylinder: v2=(4/3)*g*h

and now with that, comes another question:

Two uniform cylinders have different masses and different rotational inertias. They simultaneously
start from rest at the top of an inclined plane and roll without sliding down the plane.

the answer is: the one with the smaller rotational inertia reaches the bottom first?

haruspex said:
Anything of the form Acos(ωt), Asin(ωt), Acos(ωt+β), ... The phase won't matter because we're only interested in time differences, not an absolute time.

Take e.g. x= Asin(ωt). For what values of t will x = A/2?
x(t) = Acos(ωt)
A/2 = Acos(ωt)
1/2 = cos(ωt)
ωt = ∏/3 and 5∏/3?

and
1)
2∏f*t = ∏/3
2f*t = 1/3
f*t = 1/6
(1/T)*t = 1/6
t = T/6?

2)
(2∏/T)*t = 5∏/3
t = 5T/6?

difference in time = 4T/6 = 2T/3?

so answer is none of the above?
haruspex said:
Thinking about this again, it seems to me that options B and C should be interpreted literally as T ~ sin(ωt+β) and T ~ sin2(ωt+β). That means you can rule those out on the basis that it's never zero. And you can rule out D because it's never infinite.
Using your equation (but I think you meant mgcosθ), you also know how v and θ vary as a function of time, right? So that gives you an equation for T as a function of time.
Now, as we know, a pendulum is only approximately SHM, so I'm going to assume that the same degree of approximation is intended in answering this question. And since you're short of time, I'll break the rules and just go ahead with an exposition.
θ = Asin(ωt) (say) where ω2=g/L
v = Aωcos(ωt)L
cos(θ) ≈ 1 - θ2/2
T = mA2ω2L2cos2(ωt)/L + mg(1-A2sin2(ωt)/2)
= mg{1+A2cos2(ωt)-A2sin2(ωt)/2}
which can be written in the form C + D*sin2(ωt).
So clearly it is not a constant.
(That said, I'm surprised the answer is quite so messy, so I may have made a mistake. It would only take an error in a sign and one in a factor of two to end up with T = constant, but I feel intuitively that wouldn't be right.)
Now, if the options B and C really meant to allow for T ~ constant + sin(ωt+β) or T ~ constant + sin2(ωt+β), then you might say the answer is C. However, you could further rewrite the expression as C' + D'*sin(2ωt+β). So if you take that interpretation then options B and C are the same.
so the answer i nthe book is wrong? it says its E.

zumi78878 said:
Yes. As the PE is turned into KE, the object with the least MI gets the greatest fraction of its KE in the form of translational KE.
Two uniform cylinders have different masses and different rotational inertias. They simultaneously start from rest at the top of an inclined plane and roll without sliding down the plane. The cylinder that gets to the bottom first is:

Don't just guess. Write out some equations and deduce the answer.
x(t) = Acos(ωt)
A/2 = Acos(ωt)
1/2 = cos(ωt)
ωt = ∏/3 and 5∏/3?
t = T/6, 5T/6?
difference in time = 4T/6 = 2T/3?
so answer is none of the above?
Yes, that's enough to choose "none". But to work out the required phase difference correctly you'd need to consider that -∏/3 etc. are also solutions. In between consecutive solutions, the object will either reach maximum deviation or zero deviation. You are asked for an interval during which it reaches max deviation. That will be either 2T/3 or T/3 (in fact it's the second), so the multiple choice answer is still "none".
so the answer in the book is wrong? it says its E.
No, read what I wrote again:
"it seems to me that options B and C should be interpreted literally as T ~ sin(ωt+β) and T ~ sin2(ωt+β). That means you can rule those out on the basis that it's never zero. And you can rule out D because it's never infinite."
I then went on to show that (unless I'd made a mistake in the algebra) it was not constant either. That leaves E.

zumi78878 said:

If uniformity means that the density of the cylinder is constant, the moment of inertia is 0.5mr2. The kinetic energy of the cylinder is KE=1/2(mv2+0.5mr2ω2) and v=rω in case of rolling, so KE=(3/4)mv2
At height h, KE+mgh=mgh0,
v2=(4/3)g(h0-h).
The cylinders have the same speed at the same height, independently of their mass or moment of inertia.

ehild

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot so that it can swing freely back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as gravity, energy, and motion.

2. How is tension force related to a pendulum?

Tension force is the force exerted by a string or rope on an object attached to it. In the case of a pendulum, the tension force is responsible for keeping the weight suspended and allowing it to swing back and forth.

3. How do you calculate the tension force in a pendulum?

The tension force can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and a is the acceleration of the pendulum.

4. What factors affect the tension force in a pendulum?

The tension force in a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can all impact the acceleration and therefore the tension force in the pendulum.

5. How can the tension force in a pendulum be increased?

The tension force in a pendulum can be increased by increasing the mass of the weight or the angle at which it is released. Additionally, shortening the length of the string can also increase the tension force. However, it is important to note that the tension force cannot exceed the weight of the object or else the string will break.