Does Weight Affect Friction in Winter Driving?

In summary, the more mass a vehicle has, the more resistance it will have to changes in motion. A heavier truck will have more friction in ice and snow than a lighter truck.
6/4 Blues
I want to become a better driver in the ice and snow. Understanding that a vehicle with more mass will resist change in motion more than one with less mass, what would be the relationship between weight and friction? Will a heavier truck have more friction?(assuming these two vehicles had the same tires) Ultimately, would a smaller vehicle with less inertia be easier to stop (in ice and snow) than a much heavier vehicle with more inertia but greater fiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The frictional force between two objects is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force. So by increasing the normal force (weight of the vehicle) you will increase the frictional force between the tires and the road.

6/4 Blues said:
Ultimately, would a smaller vehicle with less inertia be easier to stop (in ice and snow) than a much heavier vehicle with more inertia but greater fiction?

Seems like it would be a trade off. Not sure of the exact numbers though. I would guess that it would be harder to stop the momentum of the heavier vehicle (i.e. take longer to stop it without sliding) even with greater frictional force, due to the fact that you are on ice and the coefficient of friction, and thus frictional force would be significantly smaller in relation to the time required to stop the smaller vehicle's momentum.

Here's some more information on the subject...

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/843.html

You get more friction, and thus more resistive force, but since f = ma

and f = xmg (where x is the coefficient and g is the acceleration due to gravity, hence mg is weight force which is also = to normal force)

thus ma = xmg

and a = xmg/m
a = xg
deacceleration (choosing the deacceleration direction as positive) = x (coefficient of friction) * g (acceleration due to gravity)

So in either case the friction provided gives an equal deacceleration in each case assuming the same coefficient (the same surface).

Tell me if I did something wrong.

Edit: If I wasn't clear this shows deceleration due to friction (on the ground) is not dependant on mass, thus if both vehicles have the same of amount of breaking force the one with the higher inertia will stop last.

Last edited:
Epsilon did it right. The deceleration does't depend on the mass of the vehicle if the friction coeficient is equal.
But I think friction coeficient in this case have some other aspect. Normally when we identify friction coeficient, the surfaces must be smooth and dry and are not deformed. In the case of driving on ice or snow,, the surfaces are different and I may think heavier vehicles decelerate better for they can deform the ice/snow more than smaller ones do.

deleted

pixel01 said:
Epsilon did it right. The deceleration does't depend on the mass of the vehicle if the friction coeficient is equal.
But I think friction coeficient in this case have some other aspect. Normally when we identify friction coeficient, the surfaces must be smooth and dry and are not deformed. In the case of driving on ice or snow,, the surfaces are different and I may think heavier vehicles decelerate better for they can deform the ice/snow more than smaller ones do.

Actually you're right, ice would probably be close enough to be equal but snow...

Imagine a small toy car on the snow, it's coefficient would be much smaller then a truck trying to plow through the snow. I'm not sure which would stop first. I think the larger one would still stop later...

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object will continue to remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is inertia related to mass?

Inertia is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia and the more force is needed to change its state of motion.

3. What is weight and how is it different from mass?

Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. It is different from mass, which is the amount of matter an object contains. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, while mass remains constant.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or prevent motion altogether. The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces and the force pushing them together.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces to create a smooth layer and reduce the amount of contact between them. Additionally, using smoother or more slippery surfaces can also reduce friction.