1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertial forces of a slider crank

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen%20Shot%202015-10-27%20at%208.28.24%20AM_zpsvnw6gcoy.png

Hello, I have an exam later in the week and I'm trying to understand how to this problem.

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of forces.
    Sum of moments.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I broke the mechanism into 3 pieces, the crank, connecting rod, and slider and then began to analyze each piece with the sum of moments and sum of forces on each. It seems that I am missing too many unknowns. For example on this sum of forces on crank what is the mass and acceleration of the crank.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You aren't given the mass of the crank because you don't need it.
    The only information you need from the crank is what point B is doing - the direction and magnitude of it's acceleration and velocity.
    Point C is constrained to B and the horizontal plane so you can find it's linear a & v and then the magnitude of the Fx on it.
    I don't know what 'equivalent offset inertial force' is but you can find the angular and translational velocities and accelerations of BC and then the forces on BC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted