1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infimums and Darboux sums

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If b>a, find the infimum of b - a for arbritrary b,a.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this is for a darboux sum but I'm stuck on proving that 0 is the inf. It seems really easy but I can't seem to think straight.

First thing is 0 is a lower bound of b - a.
    b - a > 0
    b > a

Next is to prove it's the greatest lower bound. I tried to do this by supposing x > 0 is the greatest lower bound and find some contradiction but I can't figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Infimum

Ok, go ahead. Suppose x>0 is a lower bound. Pick b=x/2 and a=0. Is x a lower bound for b-a?

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

Does that not only prove it then when a = 0? I guess I might as well say what I'm doing. Basically, I'm trying to get the darboux sum for a function where f(x) = 1 if x = 0 and f(x) = 0 otherwise. I got the lower darboux sum and then when I try to do the upper darboux sum, I get [tex]\Sigma[/tex](xj+1 - xj)sup f. So if I expand this sum, I get 0 for every interval except the interval that contains 0 ie [xk,xk+1]. The upper darboux sum is xk+1 - xk. Clearly, the inf is 0 but I need to prove this.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. The assumption that was that x>0 was a lower bound of b-a for ALL b>a. If it's not a lower bound for SOME b>a, then x>0 is NOT a lower bound. But you are thinking about this way too generally. Of course you can make the upper sum as small as you want by picking x_(j+1)-x_j as small as you want. You might make the interval containing 0 be [-1/n,1/n]. So sure, you can make that as close to zero as you want by picking n large enough.

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5

Thanks for that. Got it all sorted out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook