Solving Infinite Limit: \frac {t}{\sqrt{4t^{2}+1}}

In summary, the limit of t divided by the square root of 4t squared plus 1, as t approaches infinity, is equal to 1/2. This can be found by factoring out t from the numerator and denominator and taking the limit at infinity.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

[tex] \left ^{lim} _{t\rightarrow \infty} \right \frac {t}{\sqrt{4t^{2}+1}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not to confident on Limits but I can usually get them, I just don't know how to get all the way there:

Let:

[tex] H = \infty [/tex]

[tex] \frac {H}{\sqrt{4H^{2}+1}} [/tex]

I don't know what to do from here to actually get a numerical result, but to me it looks like it would basically be H/sqrt(H^2) and should be one or zero but the actual answer they are looking for is 1/2 so could someone please instruct me on how to get there?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \left ^{lim} _{t\rightarrow \infty} \right \frac {t}{\sqrt{4t^{2}+1}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not to confident on Limits but I can usually get them, I just don't know how to get all the way there:

Let:

[tex] H = \infty [/tex]

[tex] \frac {H}{\sqrt{4H^{2}+1}} [/tex]

I don't know what to do from here to actually get a numerical result, but to me it looks like it would basically be H/sqrt(H^2) and should be one or zero but the actual answer they are looking for is 1/2 so could someone please instruct me on how to get there?

thanks!
You can never substitute infinity into a limit expression! Even when you cleverly hide it with a variable.

Factor t out of the numerator and denominator, and then take the limit.

Well I have been using the book "Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" and you do exactly that for the methods taught in the book. For example

Find:

[tex] \left ^{lim} _{x \rightarrow \infty} \right \frac {3x^{4}+5x -2}{2x^{4}-6x^{3}+7} [/tex]

the way that it is taught in the book to solve this limit is:

[tex] \frac {3H^{4}+5H-2}{2H^{4}+6H^{3}+7} = \frac {3+5H^{-3}-2H^{-4}} {2-6H^{-1}+7H^{-4}} [/tex]

and then a portion of this you are probably not familiar with is standard parts, the standard parts to an expression is the real number/variables and the 'hyperreal numbers/variables' are not part of the standard parts of an expression. and H is a hyperreal number and thus it is not taken when taking standard parts so to solve this, using the method taught in the book you would take:

[tex] st(\frac {3H^{4}+5H-2}{2H^{4}+6H^{3}+7}) = \frac{3+0-0}{2-0+0} =\frac {3}{2} [/tex]

I want to learn the "standard" way of doing it though, but how can I factor out t from the denominator when it is in a binomial inside a square root?

Asphyxiated said:
Well I have been using the book "Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" and you do exactly that for the methods taught in the book. For example

Find:

[tex] \left ^{lim} _{x \rightarrow \infty} \right \frac {3x^{4}+5x -2}{2x^{4}-6x^{3}+7} [/tex]

the way that it is taught in the book to solve this limit is:

[tex] \frac {3H^{4}+5H-2}{2H^{4}+6H^{3}+7} = \frac {3+5H^{-3}-2H^{-4}} {2-6H^{-1}+7H^{-4}} [/tex]

and then a portion of this you are probably not familiar with is standard parts, the standard parts to an expression is the real number/variables and the 'hyperreal numbers/variables' are not part of the standard parts of an expression. and H is a hyperreal number and thus it is not taken when taking standard parts so to solve this, using the method taught in the book you would take:

[tex] st(\frac {3H^{4}+5H-2}{2H^{4}+6H^{3}+7}) = \frac{3+0-0}{2-0+0} =\frac {3}{2} [/tex]

I want to learn the "standard" way of doing it though, but how can I factor out t from the denominator when it is in a binomial inside a square root?

The way I see it, that is the "standard" way. Observing the degrees of the variables in both the numerator and denominator and applying the limit at infinity is usually the way to go, like you showed in your example.

Because you have a binomial in the square root is the reason you can factor it out and take the square root of it to get t.

Do you understand?

ok well i think that you mean this:

[tex] \sqrt{4t^{2}+1} = \sqrt{(2t+1)(2t-1)} [/tex]

but that works out to 4t^2-1 and (2t+1)(2t+1) is a trinomial, so... yeah

Asphyxiated said:
ok well i think that you mean this:

[tex] \sqrt{4t^{2}+1} = \sqrt{(2t+1)(2t-1)} [/tex]

but that works out to 4t^2-1 and (2t+1)(2t+1) is a trinomial, so... yeah

Don't factor it, factor out a t^2. You should get sqrt(t^2(1 + 1/t^2)), right? I think you can go from there.

well I might have went around this a round-about way but basically it is like this:

[tex] \frac {t} {\sqrt{4t^{2}+1}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{t} {\sqrt{4t^{2}(1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}})}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{t} {(2t)\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1} {(2)(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}}} [/tex]

[tex] st(\frac{1} {(2)(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}})}) [/tex]

[tex] \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

is that right?

Last edited:
Asphyxiated said:
well I might have went around this a round-about way but basically it is like this:

[tex] \frac {t} {\sqrt{4t^{2}+1}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{t} {\sqrt{4t^{2}(1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}})}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{t} {(2t)\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1} {(2)(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}}} [/tex]

[tex] st(\frac{1} {(2)(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4t^{2}}})}) [/tex]

[tex] \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

is that right?

That is right. So it looks like you understand how to do it.

Let's get the limit back in.
[tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{t}{\sqrt{4t^2 + 1}}= \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{t}{t \sqrt{4 + 1/t^2}}= \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{1}{1 \sqrt{4 + 1/t^2}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

For any finite value of t, t/t = 1, and this is also true in the limit. As t grows large without bound, the 1/t^2 term in the radical approaches zero, so the whole fraction approaches 1/sqrt(4) = 1/2.

1. What is an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input value approaches a certain point. In this case, the function is said to have an infinite limit if the output value becomes infinitely large as the input value gets closer and closer to the specified point.

2. How do you solve an infinite limit?

To solve an infinite limit, you need to use algebraic manipulation and limit laws to simplify the expression until you can directly evaluate the limit. In this case, we can use the limit law for quotients and rewrite the expression as the limit of two simpler expressions.

3. What is the limit of t as t approaches 0?

The limit of t as t approaches 0 is 0. As the input value gets closer to 0, the output value also gets closer to 0. This can be seen by substituting 0 for t in the expression, which results in 0 in the numerator and 1 in the denominator.

4. What is the limit of t as t approaches infinity?

The limit of t as t approaches infinity is also 0. As the input value gets larger and larger, the output value approaches 0. This is because the numerator, t, grows at a slower rate than the denominator, √(4t^2+1), which becomes increasingly large as t approaches infinity.

5. How can you check if your solution to an infinite limit is correct?

You can check if your solution to an infinite limit is correct by graphing the function and observing the behavior of the function as the input value approaches the specified point. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or online tool to evaluate the limit numerically and compare it to your solution.