Find Infinite Product: Solve 1/2n² Puzzle

In summary, the "1/2n² puzzle" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the infinite product of 1/2n² and can be solved by using the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series. It is important to find this product as it teaches us about infinite series and has applications in various fields. There are other methods to solve the puzzle, but the most efficient way is by using the formula. This concept also has real-world applications and can be extended to other numbers besides 1/2.
end3r7
Essentially I need to find (if possible) the following infinite product

[tex]1 - \frac{1}{2*n^{2}}[/tex]

So, not quite Wallis number. I must say that I'm at a complete loss, not even sure where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
0.358486649396841... is approximately what the number is (thanks to Matlab).

Looks like anything to you guys?

That looks awfully similar to the infinite product for sin z.

Hurkyl said:
That looks awfully similar to the infinite product for sin z.

Which is

[tex]\sin(\pi\,z)=\pi\,z \prod_{n=1}^\infty\left(1-\frac{z^2}{n^2}\right)[/tex]

:smile:

I'm not familiar, what does it look like?

Thanks guys =)

1. What is the "1/2n² puzzle" and how do I solve it?

The "1/2n² puzzle" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the infinite product of 1/2n², where n is a positive integer. This can be solved by using the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series: S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a = 1/2 and r = 1/4, so the solution is S = (1/2)/(1-1/4) = 2/3.

2. Why is it important to find the infinite product of 1/2n²?

Finding the infinite product of 1/2n² is important in mathematics because it teaches us about infinite series and their properties. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

3. Can the "1/2n² puzzle" be solved in a different way?

Yes, there are other methods to solve the "1/2n² puzzle", such as using the concept of limits or using a calculator to find the product of an increasingly large number of terms. However, the most efficient and accurate way to solve it is by using the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series.

4. Is there a real-world application for the "1/2n² puzzle"?

Yes, the concept of infinite products has many real-world applications, such as in calculating compound interest in finance or determining the convergence of infinite series in physics and engineering problems.

5. Can the "1/2n² puzzle" be extended to other numbers instead of 1/2?

Yes, the concept of infinite products can be applied to any number, not just 1/2. The formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series can be used to find the product of any infinite series with a constant ratio between terms.