Why Does This Mathematical Equality Hold True?

In summary, the concept of equality in math involves showing that two quantities or expressions have the same numerical value. This is done by using logical steps and mathematical operations to prove equivalence. Common mistakes when proving equality include assuming equality without proof and not following the correct order of operations. To ensure correctness, it is important to carefully check each step and have someone else review the proof. Equality can be proven for all types of mathematical expressions, but the methods may vary.
cappadonza
i'm going through a proof and i can't seem to workout why this equality makes sense
[tex] \sum^{10^{i}-1}_{k=0} \frac{k}{10^i} = \frac{(10^i-1)}{2}[/tex]
this may be obvious, any hints atleast would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just [tex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n-1}k=\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/tex]; in your problem, replace [tex] n \mbox{ by } 10^i [/tex].

By the way, your series is a finite one :)
Cheers.

Last edited:

Related to Why Does This Mathematical Equality Hold True?

1. What is the concept of equality in math?

The concept of equality in math refers to the idea that two quantities or expressions are equal in value. This means that both sides of the equation have the same numerical value and the statement is true.

2. How do you prove equality in math?

In order to prove equality in math, you must show that both sides of the equation are equivalent through a series of logical steps. This can be done by using mathematical properties and operations to manipulate the expressions until they are in their simplest form and are equal to each other.

3. What are the common mistakes when proving equality?

One common mistake when proving equality is assuming that the expressions are equal without any logical steps or mathematical operations. Another mistake is not following the correct order of operations, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to check for any errors in calculations or algebraic manipulations.

4. How can you make sure that your proof of equality is correct?

To ensure that your proof of equality is correct, it is important to carefully follow each step and check for any mistakes or errors. You can also double check your work by plugging in values for the variables and seeing if both sides of the equation still hold true. Additionally, you can ask someone else to review your proof to catch any mistakes that you may have missed.

5. Can equality be proven for all types of mathematical expressions?

Yes, equality can be proven for all types of mathematical expressions, including equations, inequalities, and identities. However, the methods for proving equality may vary depending on the type of expression and the specific mathematical properties and operations involved.