Infinite Square Well and nucleons

In summary, the problem involves 12 neutrons in a one dimensional infinite square well of length 3 fm. Using a mass of 1 u, the ground state energy of the system is determined by the equation E = n^2 h^2 / (8mL^2). Due to the exclusion principle, there can only be 2 neutrons in each energy level, leading to energy levels from n=1 to n=6. The ground state cannot be n=1, as neutrons are fermions and n cannot be only 1. Further calculations are needed to determine the actual ground state energy.
roeb

Homework Statement

Twelve nucleons are in a one dimensional infinite square well of length L = 3 fm. Using a mass of 1 u. What is the ground state energy of the system of 12 nucleons in the well if all the nucleons are neutrons so that there can only be 2 in each state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E = n^2 h^2 / ( 8 m L^2) (infinite square well)

I'm not really sure what to do... If I say that n = 1. Then I get 22.96 MeV.
I know that because of the exclusion principle there will be levels from n = 1 to n = 6 with 2 neutrons in each level.

I don't know exactly what they mean by ground state? I would have thought that means when n = 1, but in this case it doesn't seem to be the case. Or even 22.96 Mev / 12 nucleons, but that also isn't the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, neutrons are fermions, so n can't only be 1 (Pauli exclusion principle). There have to be two neutrons in n = 1, two in n = 2, ... n = 6. Try working from here.

What is an infinite square well in relation to nucleons?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined within a defined space. In the case of nucleons, the infinite square well represents the potential energy that keeps them bound within the nucleus of an atom.

How does the infinite square well model apply to nucleons?

The infinite square well model is used to explain the behavior of nucleons within the nucleus of an atom. It helps to understand how nucleons are confined within a small space due to the strong nuclear force, and how they interact with each other and with other particles.

What is the significance of the infinite square well model for understanding the structure of atoms?

The infinite square well model is important for understanding the structure of atoms because it allows us to visualize and calculate the energy levels and spatial distribution of nucleons within the nucleus. This can help us understand how different elements are formed and how they behave in different conditions.

What are some limitations of the infinite square well model when applied to nucleons?

One limitation of the infinite square well model is that it assumes the potential energy is constant within the well, which may not accurately represent the complex interactions between nucleons in a real atom. Additionally, this model does not take into account the effects of spin and nuclear forces on nucleons, which play a significant role in the behavior of atoms.

How does the infinite square well model relate to other quantum mechanical models?

The infinite square well model is just one of many models used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is often used in conjunction with other models, such as the harmonic oscillator model, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles within atoms.