Infinite well problem, not normal probability function(?)

In summary, a particle with mass m is trapped in an infinite potential well. The wave function for this system is given by ψ(x,t=0) = Ksin(3∏x/L)cos(∏x/L). The energies that can be measured from this system are given by E2 = \frac{2\hbarπ^2}{mL^2} and E4 = \frac{8\hbarπ^2}{mL^2}. The probabilities for measuring these energies are 50% each, with the constant cn representing the probability for En to be measured. The Schrödinger equation and the trigonometric identity are used to solve for these energies.
sz0

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m is trapped inside the infinite potential well:

0<x<L : U(x) = 0
otherwise: U(x) = ∞

ψ(x,t=0) = Ksin(3∏x/L)cos(∏x/L)

What energies can be measured from this system, what are the probabilities for these energies ?

Homework Equations

Schrödinger equation, |ψ(x,t)|^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this type of problem normally when ψ = Asin(...) + Bcos(...), but the look of the ψ function confuses me. My guess i should use the Schrödinger equation to give me E like normally.. but maybe that's not how I am supposed to do this. If it is, my math skills are not good enough. I've been trying quite hard to get something good out of (d/dx)^2(ψ) / ψ .

So thanks in advance for any help i can get. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to express ##\psi(x)## as a linear combinations of the eigenstates. Try using a trig identity to do this.

Thank you, I will work on that this night and read up on how to do it, hopefully I will make it.

I haven't solved it, but these are my new trys, am I doing anything right ?

I start with what i think is a trigidentity,
ψ(X) = Ksin([itex]\frac{3πx}{L}[/itex])cos([itex]\frac{πx}{L}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{K}{2}[/itex][sin([itex]\frac{2πx}{L}[/itex])+sin([itex]\frac{4πx}{L}[/itex])] , solving K from this should be trivial, but I will wait with it for now.

I have two approaches.
1: If there is a function ψ'n = [itex]\frac{K}{2}[/itex]sin([itex]\frac{nπx}{L}[/itex]) then ψ'2 + ψ'4 = ψ, but ψn + ψm ≠ ψn+m right? so what is all this good for either way?

2: [itex]\frac{-\hbar}{2m}[/itex][itex]\frac{dψ}{dx}[/itex]2 = Eψ with ψ =[itex]\frac{K}{2}[/itex][sin([itex]\frac{2πx}{L}[/itex])+sin([itex]\frac{4πx}{L}[/itex])] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\frac{dψ}{dx}[/itex]2 = -[itex]\frac{K}{2}[/itex][sin([itex]\frac{2πx}{L}[/itex])+4sin([itex]\frac{4πx}{L}[/itex])]( [itex]\frac{4π}{L}[/itex])2 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] E = [itex]\frac{2\hbar}{mL^2}[/itex][itex]\frac{1+8cos(\frac{2πx}{L})}{1+2cos(\frac{2πx}{L})}[/itex]

But what does this tell me about what values are allowed ? And was this a good way to go ?

Well if you vela or someone else could help me out a bit more I would appreciate it, thanks.

Read up on the superposition of states.

Ok I did, there was nothing about it in my textbook i think so becuse of different notation online it was a bit slow but i hope i got this right.

ψ(X) = Ksin(3πx/L)cos(πx/L) = C[sin(2πx/L)+sin(4π/L)] is what I have after I solve 1= ∫|ψ|^2 dx [0,L] → K = 2/√L . For simplicity i introduce C = 1/√L = K/2 .

I want to write ψ as a linear combination of different ψn that is
ψ = Ʃ cnψn = C(c1sin(x/L)+c2sin(2x/L)+c3sin(3x/L)+c4sin(4x/L)+...) = C[sin(2πx/L)+sin(4π/L)]

Another condition is Ʃcn2 = 1 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]
c2 = c4 = 1/√2 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Cc2=Cc4 = √(2/L) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]
ψ2 = √(2/L)sin(2πx/L), ψ4 = √(2/L)sin(4πx/L)

And now solving Schrödinger equation with ψ2
E2 = [itex]\frac{2\hbarπ^2}{mL^2}[/itex]
with ψ4
E4 = [itex]\frac{8\hbarπ^2}{mL^2}[/itex]

Is it correct to say now that these are the measurable energies, and that the constant cn shows the probability for En beeing measured, in this case they are the same so it's 50% each ?

Thanks again.

Yup, you got it.

Fantastic, thanks for your help.

What is the infinite well problem?

The infinite well problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves studying the behavior of a particle confined within an infinite potential well. This scenario is often used to simplify the study of quantum mechanics and understand the concept of quantization.

What is a normal probability function?

In the context of the infinite well problem, a normal probability function refers to the probability distribution that describes the behavior of a particle within the well. It follows the shape of a bell curve and is characterized by its mean and standard deviation.

Why is the infinite well problem important?

The infinite well problem serves as a fundamental example in quantum mechanics and helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It also has applications in various fields such as solid-state physics and chemistry.

How is the infinite well problem solved?

The infinite well problem is solved by using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation and the boundary conditions of the infinite well. These equations help determine the energy levels and probability distribution of the particle within the well.

What are some real-world applications of the infinite well problem?

The infinite well problem has applications in various fields such as electronics, nanotechnology, and material science. It is used to understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and the confinement of particles in nanoscale structures. It also helps in the development of new materials with specific electronic and optical properties.