Inflection Points and Local Extrema of a Cubic Function

• Thread starter SpecialOps0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: Don't worry about the imaginary values, they do not affect the concavity or inflection points. In summary, the function y = -x^3-3x^2-4x-2 has no real inflection points or local min/max points. The graph of the function is always decreasing and concave down. The imaginary roots do not affect the concavity or inflection points.
SpecialOps0

Homework Statement

Identify the inflection points, local min/max and intervals the graph is rising, falling, conc up/down analytically, support graphically.

y=-x^3-3x^2-4x-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F'(y)=-3x^2-6x-4
x=-1+/-.5775i

F"(y)=-6x-6
x=-1

I've done this before and I can do it analytically for roots that aren't imaginary...I also need help with the sign graph for the roots...

Physics news on Phys.org
SpecialOps0 said:

Homework Statement

Identify the inflection points, local min/max and intervals the graph is rising, falling, conc up/down analytically, support graphically.

y=-x^3-3x^2-4x-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F'(y)=-3x^2-6x-4
x=-1+/-.5775i
There's no need to be concerned about complex or imaginary roots. You're looking for real values of x for which dy/dx = 0. Your work shows there aren't any.

Since there aren't any x-values for which f'(x)= 0, it can't change sign. Since f'(0) = -4, f'(x) must be negative everywhere. What does that imply about the graph of y = -x3 - 3x2 - 4x - 2?
SpecialOps0 said:
F"(y)=-6x-6
x=-1

I've done this before and I can do it analytically for roots that aren't imaginary...I also need help with the sign graph for the roots...
Since f''(-1) = 0 and f''(x) changes sign at x = -1, what does that say about the concavity of the graph of y = -x3 - 3x2 - 4x - 2?

1) so it's decreasing from -infinity to -infinity?
2) conc up at x=-1

Also how do I do this problem...
rotate region defined by y=(1/4)x^2 and y=2x+1 at x-axis and find volume...
do I start off by finding intercepts?
x=-.4721 x=8.4721 then do the integral for volume
pi*integral of ((2x+1)^2-((1/4)x^2)^2) from -.4721 to 8.4721?

SpecialOps0 said:
1) so it's decreasing from -infinity to -infinity?
It's decreasing from -infinity to +infinity.
SpecialOps0 said:
2) conc up at x=-1
No, that's where the concavity changes. You're supposed to say on what intervals the graph of the original function is concave up or concave down.

I'm not sure what to say, it's not clear like what we've done in my class before..I've only seen clear ones such as x^2/3 functions where there is a clear dip.

It is concave down when the second derivative is negative.
It is concave up when the second derivative is positive.

Let's say [tex]f(x)=x^{3}[/tex].
[tex]f'(x)=3x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]f''(x)=6x[/tex]

First derivative tells you whether the function is increasing or decreasing.

Second derivative tells you the concavity. If the second derivative is negative, it is concave down. If the second derivative is positive, it is concave up.

When [tex]f''(x)=0[/tex] that is called an inflection point.

To figure out whether whether it's concave up or down we must plug in a point. Let's plug in -1.
[tex]f''(-1)=6(-1)=-6[/tex]
This tells us this is concave down.

Now try out your problem.

Last edited:
SpecialOps0 said:
Also how do I do this problem...
rotate region defined by y=(1/4)x^2 and y=2x+1 at x-axis and find volume...
do I start off by finding intercepts?
x=-.4721 x=8.4721 then do the integral for volume
pi*integral of ((2x+1)^2-((1/4)x^2)^2) from -.4721 to 8.4721?
That would sort of work, but I would not switch to approximations until the very end. If you start off with approximations your accuracy will be affected.

The integral would be
[tex]\pi \int_{4 - 2\sqrt{5}}^{4 - 2\sqrt{5}} [(2x + 1)^2 - x^4/16]dx[/tex]

Thanks and I can't see your pictures PiRho.

SpecialOps0 said:
Thanks and I can't see your pictures PiRho.

Sorry latex fail :-p It's fixed now. If you need more examples, feel free to ask.

x>-1 = -
x<-1 = +
at f"(x)= 6x-6
So I'm confused :/

Let's take the last part of your equation for an example.
[tex]f(x)=-3x^{2}-4x-2[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=-6x-4[/tex]
The root of the first derivative is when [tex]x=-2/3[/tex].
So let's plug in -1 and 0 since it's to the left and right of the critical point.
[tex]f'(-1)=-6(-1)-4=2[/tex]
So from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]-1[/tex] it is increasing. Now let's plug in 0.
[tex]f'(0)=-6(0)-4=-4[/tex]
So from [tex]-1[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] it is decreasing.

Now let's move on to the second derivative.
[tex]f''(x)=-6[/tex]
It is always negative for all x. So from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] it is concave down. If there was a root you would do the same process as you did for the first derivative but instead of it telling you whether the function is increasing or decreasing, it is telling you whether the function is concave up or concave down in that portion.

Last edited:
no, the -6x-6 was the second derivative.

SpecialOps0 said:
no, the -6x-6 was the second derivative.

Notice my [tex]f(x)[/tex] is different from your problem. I'm making up a whole new problem. I was hoping you take take my example and figure out your problem.

So then is it just still concave down?

SpecialOps0 said:
So then is it just still concave down?

As you mentioned [tex]f''(x)=-6x-6=-6(x-1)[/tex]. So there is a root at [tex]x=1[/tex].

Let's look at when [tex]f''(0)[/tex] and when [tex]f''(2)[/tex].

[tex]f''(0)=-6(0)-6=-6[/tex] which means concave up.
[tex]f''(2)=-6(2)-6=-12-6=-6[/tex] which means concave down.

Ohhh ok sorry, but thank you so very much. Still getting use to some problems haha.

SpecialOps0 said:
Ohhh ok sorry, but thank you so very much. Still getting use to some problems haha.

Yup. No problem. Feel free to ask. I'm struggling with math myself :-)

PiRho31416 said:
As you mentioned [tex]f''(x)=-6x-6=-6(x-1)[/tex]. So there is a root at [tex]x=1[/tex].
No, f''(x) = -6x - 6 = -6(x + 1).
PiRho31416 said:
Let's look at when [tex]f''(0)[/tex] and when [tex]f''(2)[/tex].

[tex]f''(0)=-6(0)-6=-6[/tex] which means concave up.
Actually, since f''(0) = -6 < 0, it means the original graph is concave down.
PiRho31416 said:
[tex]f''(2)=-6(2)-6=-12-6=-6[/tex] which means concave down.

We have f''(x) = -6(x + 1), with f''(-1) = 0

For x < - 1, f''(x) > 0 so the graph of f is concave up on this interval.
For x > - 1, f''(x) < 0 so the graph of f is concave down on this interval.

Since the concavity changes at x = -1, there's an inflection point at (-1, f(-1)).

Mark44 said:
No, f''(x) = -6x - 6 = -6(x + 1).
Actually, since f''(0) = -6 < 0, it means the original graph is concave down.

We have f''(x) = -6(x + 1), with f''(-1) = 0

For x < - 1, f''(x) > 0 so the graph of f is concave up on this interval.
For x > - 1, f''(x) < 0 so the graph of f is concave down on this interval.

Since the concavity changes at x = -1, there's an inflection point at (-1, f(-1)).

Thanks for correcting me. It was really late last night :-)

PiRho31416 said:
Thanks for correcting me. It was really late last night :-)
It's an easy mistake to make, with all those minus signs...

What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the curvature changes from concave up to concave down, or vice versa. It is the point where the slope of the curve changes from increasing to decreasing, or from decreasing to increasing.

How is an inflection point determined?

An inflection point is determined by taking the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The solution to this equation gives the x-value of the inflection point. Alternatively, the inflection point can also be found by visually inspecting the curve and identifying where the curvature changes.

What does concave up mean?

Concave up is a term used to describe the shape of a curve or function. It means that the curve is curving upwards, like a bowl or a smile. Mathematically, a curve is concave up when its second derivative is positive.

What does concave down mean?

Concave down is a term used to describe the shape of a curve or function. It means that the curve is curving downwards, like a frown or a valley. Mathematically, a curve is concave down when its second derivative is negative.

Why are inflection points important?

Inflection points are important because they represent a change in the behavior of a function. They can indicate a change in the direction of the curve, or a change in the rate of change of the curve. They are also useful in finding critical points and determining the concavity of a curve, which can be helpful in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of a function.