1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Information about UK MSc?

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    Hello, some help please

I currently have taught MSc offers from:
    Edinburgh: theoretical physic MSc
    Durham: Particles, Strings and Cosmology MSc
    And from Australia: University of Melbourne: Master of Science – Physics (2 years)
    I find it hard to make a decision. I don’t have any research experience in my undergraduate years. I ‘m really interested in particle physics so I plan to do a PhD on it after my MSc. Could anyone help me?:
    -Edinburgh or Durham? They both have good particle theory groups and participate experiments at LHC. Any advice?
    -I prefer a one year program in the UK. The main reason I consider the 2-year program in Melbourne is because someone suggest a one year program won’t get me enough research experience to apply for a PhD in the UK but a 2-year program may be better. Is that really the case?
    -Is it really that difficult to apply for a PhD in those 1-year programs I mention above? What is essential in order to apply for it?
    Any information will be helpful, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A MSc in the UK should be sufficient to get a PhD in the UK. I don't know the Australian program, but it could have more coursework and the same length for research (similar to the German system then). You can get a German PhD position with a MSc from the UK as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook