Initial conditions for rlc series natural response

In summary, the problem involves finding v(t) across a capacitor in a series RLC circuit with no driving force, given an initial voltage of 24V across the capacitor. The circuit is overdamped and the equation v(t) = A_1 e^{s_1 t} + A_2 e^{s_2 t} can be used. The initial conditions of 24 = A_1 + A_2 and 0 = s_1 A_1 + s_2 A_2 can be used to calculate A_1 and A_2. The initial condition for current is 0, so it does not affect the calculations.
eng_stud

Homework Statement

Find v(t) across a cap. in a series rlc circuit with no driving force (initial v across cap: 24V)

Homework Equations

from the values of the components, [tex]\alpha > \omega_0[/tex], the circuit is overdamped, and the following equation can be used: [tex]v(t) =A_1 e^{s_1 t} + A_2 e^{s_2 t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My trouble is basically finding another initial condition to solve the 2nd order diff. equation above. At t=0, the voltage across the capacitor is 24V, so: [tex]24 =A_1 + A_2[/tex].
The other initial condition I would think should come from the fact that the current in the inductor can not change at once, so initial current is i=0. I'm just not quite sure how to use this. Can I say that, since current in cap: [tex]i=C dv/dt[/tex], then: [tex]i/C = dv/dt = 0 = \frac{d(A_1 e^{s_1 t} + A_2 e^{s_2 t})}{dt} = s_1 A_1e^{s_1 t} + s_2 A_2e^{s_2 t}[/tex]

So A_1 and A_2 can be calculated from: [tex]24 =A_1 + A_2[/tex] and [tex] 0 = s_1 A_1 + s_2 A_2[/tex] ?

Is this correct? It feels a little too simple. Also, is it alright to do [tex]i/C = dv/dt[/tex] so that the C essentially goes away because if i = 0? Or should I do [tex] i = C dv/dt[/tex], insert the expression for [tex]dv/dt[/tex] and multiply by [tex]C[/tex]?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If initial condition for current is 0; it does not matter what you do with C as far it also not 0. 0/non-zeo or 0/C = 0

1. What is the significance of initial conditions in an RLC series circuit?

Initial conditions refer to the values of current and voltage in an RLC series circuit at the beginning of a natural response, before any external sources are applied. These initial conditions determine the behavior of the circuit as it responds to changes in the input signal.

2. How do the initial conditions affect the behavior of an RLC series circuit?

The initial conditions, specifically the initial current and voltage, determine the starting point for the natural response of an RLC series circuit. The values of these initial conditions can also impact the amplitude, frequency, and damping of the natural response.

3. How are initial conditions determined in an RLC series circuit?

The initial conditions in an RLC series circuit can be determined by using Kirchhoff's laws and the circuit's characteristic equations. These equations are derived from the circuit's components and their relationships to each other.

4. Can initial conditions be changed in an RLC series circuit?

Yes, initial conditions can be changed in an RLC series circuit by modifying the values of the circuit's components or by applying external sources. Changing the initial conditions can alter the behavior of the natural response and the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How do initial conditions impact the stability of an RLC series circuit?

The initial conditions can affect the stability of an RLC series circuit by determining the behavior of the natural response. For example, if the initial conditions result in an oscillating response, the circuit may become unstable. However, if the initial conditions result in a damped response, the circuit is more likely to remain stable.