Unique Solution for Initial-Value Problem with Lipschitz Condition Test

• Thread starter meteorologist1
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to find a unique solution to an equation that has an initial value of 1. He is having trouble showing that the equation has a unique solution and needs to find a Lipschitz solution for y=1.
meteorologist1
Hello, I have trouble showing that the following initial-value problem has a unique solution. I also need to find this unique solution.

y' = e^(t-y), where 0 <= t <= 1, and y(0) = 1.

How can I test the Lipschitz condition on this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what have you done?

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = e^{t} e^{-y} [/tex]

What does your theorem on uniqueness say? My book has one where y' = F(y) for some function F of y. Here, your function is F(y,t) = et-y, it's a function of 2 variables. So maybe you have to show that for each t in [0,1], the function Ft(y) = et-y is Lipschitz as a function of y. Also, I think you only need to satisfy the Lipschitz condition for y=1, since that's the initial condition you're solving for. Again, just look at the precise statement of the theorem that I would assume is given to you.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to show. For each pair of points (t,y1) and (t,y2) where t is in [0,1], we have |F(t,y1) - F(t,y2)| <= L |y1 - y2| where L is a Lipschitz constant for F. And y1 and y2 can be anything between positive and negative infinity. But it seems that it doesn't satisfy the Lipschitz condition if you write it out -- |F(t,y1) - F(t,y2)| isn't bounded. I'm not sure what other ways there are to show uniqueness.

I found the IVP's solution using separable variables. I got y(t) = ln[(e^t) + e - 1].

Oh sorry, did you say that it only needs to satisfy the Lipschitz condition for y=1? How do you know that?

My theorem for uniqueness says that f needs to satisfy a Lipschitz condition on D, where D is the convex set {(t,y)}, where 0 <= t <= 1 and -infinity < y < +infinity.

Thanks.

Because the existence-uniqueness theorem for ODEs is a local result. It needs to be Lipschitz near 1 for there to be a unique solution with initial value 1. There just needs to be a unique trajectory going through 1, not a unique trajectory everywhere. Of course, if its not Lipschitz everywhere, then you may not have a unique solution everywhere, but that's not really important.

Actually, looking at the following graph (black = |1-e1-y|, green = |1-y|), even if you steepen the green graph by increasing L, it will never dominate the black curve, so I don't think it is Lipschitz)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Ok I see. Thanks.

1. What is a unique solution for an initial-value problem with Lipschitz condition test?

A unique solution for an initial-value problem with Lipschitz condition test is a solution to a differential equation that satisfies the Lipschitz condition, meaning that the rate of change of the function at any point is bounded by a constant value. This ensures that there is only one possible solution to the given initial conditions.

2. How does the Lipschitz condition guarantee a unique solution for an initial-value problem?

The Lipschitz condition guarantees a unique solution for an initial-value problem by ensuring that the function's rate of change is bounded, making it impossible for the solution to diverge and have multiple possible outcomes. This condition provides a way to verify that the solution to the problem is unique and not affected by small changes in the initial conditions.

3. What are the benefits of using the Lipschitz condition to test for a unique solution?

Using the Lipschitz condition to test for a unique solution has several benefits:

• It guarantees the existence of a solution for the given initial conditions.
  • It ensures that the solution is unique and not affected by small changes in the initial conditions.
  • It provides a way to verify the correctness of a solution to a differential equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Lipschitz condition to test for a unique solution?

There are some limitations to using the Lipschitz condition to test for a unique solution:

• The Lipschitz condition may be difficult to verify for more complex functions.
  • It may not be applicable to problems that do not satisfy the condition, even if a unique solution exists.
  • It does not guarantee the existence of a solution if the initial conditions are not given.

5. Can the Lipschitz condition be used for every initial-value problem?

No, the Lipschitz condition cannot be used for every initial-value problem. It can only be applied to certain types of differential equations that satisfy the condition. For more complex problems, other methods such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem may be used to prove the existence and uniqueness of a solution.