1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial value problem

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I find a general solution to this problem:

5y" + 9y' - 9y = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused with second order different equations in it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usually with this type of equations (homogeneous ordinary differential equations) the easiest way is to plug in a trial solution [itex]y(t) = e^{\lambda t}[/itex], then solve the resulting polynomial for [itex]\lambda[/itex] and make a linear combination to get the general solution.

(For non-homogeneous equations, add to that a particular solution).

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    can't I just integrate twice and get the answer? how can I solve this using the method of undeterminant coefficients

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. You can integrate y'' twice, but how are you going to integrate y' and y twice?

CompuChip has given you some good advice. Try it out.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    I don't get what he meant by make a linear combination

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

Mark44

Assume that the solution is of the form y = ert. Calculate the first and second derivatives of this function and plug them into your differential equation. After you factor out ert, you will have a quadratic that you can solve for r. (CompuChip used lambda, but the idea is the same.) You should get two values for r--r1 and r2, meaning that y1 = er1t and y2 = er2t are solutions of this DE. The general solution is all possible linear combinations of these two functions. IOW, y = c1er1t + c2er2t.

A linear combination of functions is the sum of multiples of those functions.

Clear?

8. Sep 30, 2009 #7
    what if it only has one root, say (y-3)^2, so the only root is y = 3

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. Sep 30, 2009 #8

Mark44

Then your solutions would be e3t and te3t. Your general solution would be the linear combinations of these two functions.

IOW, yg = c1e3t + c2te3t.

10. Sep 30, 2009 #9
    if it's y^2 + 25y , then the two roots are y = 0 and y = -25. so yg = c1 + c2e^(-25t).

11. Oct 1, 2009 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You can understand why you only get one solution which is non-trivial (i.e. not equal to a constant number everywhere): if r = 0 is a solution to the polynomial, then that means that your equation must have been of the form
    a y'' + b y' = 0
    so without a term in y.
    In that case you can view it as a (simpler) first order equation for v = y':
    a v' + b v = 0
    which of course only has one independent solution.

In general, if your equation is nth order (i.e. the highest derivative of y that occurs is the nth derivative) you get n independent solutions which you should add (indeed, when you plug in the exponential solution, you get a polynomial of degree n). You should be advised, however, that the roots of the polynomial are not always real, like for example in y'' + y = 0.

12. Oct 1, 2009 #11
    well if have initial value y(0) = 2 and y'(0)= 5

then what I get is

y' = -25c2e^(-25t)
    5 = -25c2
    so c2 = -1/5

and c1 is equal to 11/5

is the true? reason I asked is because the stupid webassign won't accept this answer

13. Oct 1, 2009 #12

Mark44

Are you talking about this initial value problem? (This is a different problem from the one you first posted in this thread.)
    y'' + 25y = 0, y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 5

If so, your solution looks fine to me. Maybe the webassign thing is looking for decimal values instead of fractions.

14. Oct 1, 2009 #13
    yes this is a different problem, thanks though for confirming and all the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook