Finding Initial Velocity in a Car's Motion Using Graph Analysis

In summary, the individual is having trouble finding the initial velocity of a car given the time and distance data provided. They have calculated the average velocity and acceleration, but are unsure of how to find the initial velocity. They have plotted points on a graph and determined the instantaneous velocity at each point, but are unsure of the accuracy of their method. They are seeking help in determining the initial velocity.
fatherlewis
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable answer to the initial velocity of a car.

These are my givens:
t(s) 0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0
x(m)0 2.3 9.2 20.7 36.8 57.5

I have solved that the average velocity = 13.8m/s
That the average acceleration = 9.2m/s^2

How do I find the initial velocity of the car?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fatherlewis,

fatherlewis said:
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable answer to the initial velocity of a car.

These are my givens:

Could you show how you got these numbers? They don't look right to me.

fatherlewis said:
Hi guys,

These are my givens:

How do I find the initial velocity of the car?

Thanks for your help

How did you get 9.2 m/s^2 for the average acceleration?

Make a table for t, x, v (velocity), a (acceleration).

Determine the velocity in each second, from t = 2 to 5, which is the change of x in one second. Then calculate the acceleration from t = 3 to 5, which is the change of velocity in one second.

What kind of motion is it? If the acceleration happens to be uniform, you get the initial velocity from the formula x=v0*t + a/2*t2.

ehild

This is how I got the answers:

I got the average velocity by (57.5-2.3)/(5-1)= 13.8m/s

I plotted all those points, and then I drew a tangent to 7 points (5 of which were those chosen points) and then found the slope for each of those points which gave me the instantaneous velocity at each of those points.

Here are the points I used:
A: (2, 9.2)(1.2,0) = 11.5m/s
B: (3, 20.7)(1.5,0)= 13.8m/s
C: (3.3, 26)(1.6,0)= 15.3m/s
D: (3.6,30)(1.7,0)=15.8m/s
E: (4, 36.8)(1.8,0)=16.7m/s
F: (4.6, 48)(1.9,0)=17.8m/s
G: (5, 57.5)(2.1,0)= 19.8m/s

I then plotted each of the points A-G to a graph of instantaneous velocity vs time.

So for the average acceleration I did Ax=(change in instantaneous velocity)/change in time
(19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared

fatherlewis said:
This is how I got the answers:

I got the average velocity by (57.5-2.3)/(5-1)= 13.8m/s

This gives the average velocity from t=1 to t=5; is that what you wanted? For the average velocity for the entire motion you would want to use t=0 to t=5.

I plotted all those points, and then I drew a tangent to 7 points (5 of which were those chosen points) and then found the slope for each of those points which gave me the instantaneous velocity at each of those points.

Here are the points I used:
A: (2, 9.2)(1.2,0) = 11.5m/s
B: (3, 20.7)(1.5,0)= 13.8m/s
C: (3.3, 26)(1.6,0)= 15.3m/s
D: (3.6,30)(1.7,0)=15.8m/s
E: (4, 36.8)(1.8,0)=16.7m/s
F: (4.6, 48)(1.9,0)=17.8m/s
G: (5, 57.5)(2.1,0)= 19.8m/s

I then plotted each of the points A-G to a graph of instantaneous velocity vs time.

So for the average acceleration I did Ax=(change in instantaneous velocity)/change in time
(19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared

This acceleration seems too large to me. However, I don't really follow what you are doing for points A though G.

But think back to the definition of average velocity:

[tex]
a_{\rm ave}=\frac{v_2-v_1}{t_2-t_1}
[/tex]
which means the average velocity is in terms of the instantaneous velocities at times [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex].

If you calculate the average velocity from t=0 to t=1, that would approximately equal the instantaneous velocity for what time? what about the average velocity from t=4 to t=5, it would equal the instantaneous velocity for what time?

Once you have those instantaneous velocities at two times you can calculate the average velocity, and then determine the initial velocity at t=0 by using your kinematic equations. What do you get?

alphysicist said:
This gives the average velocity from t=1 to t=5; is that what you wanted? For the average velocity for the entire motion you would want to use t=0 to t=5.

This acceleration seems too large to me. However, I don't really follow what you are doing for points A though G.

But think back to the definition of average velocity:

[tex]
a_{\rm ave}=\frac{v_2-v_1}{t_2-t_1}
[/tex]
which means the average velocity is in terms of the instantaneous velocities at times [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex].

If you calculate the average velocity from t=0 to t=1, that would approximately equal the instantaneous velocity for what time? what about the average velocity from t=4 to t=5, it would equal the instantaneous velocity for what time?

Once you have those instantaneous velocities at two times you can calculate the average velocity, and then determine the initial velocity at t=0 by using your kinematic equations. What do you get?

Thanks for the catch 0 would make more sense for the total average velocity which then gives me:

(57.5/5)=11.5m/s as the average velocity

The question asks me to plot the givens onto a distance over time graph, and then take the tangent lines of several points and get the slope of each of those lines and each of those slopes will be equal to the instantaneous velocity at that moment. I chose the 5 given points and then picked 2 of my own. It's by no way accurate of course, very much freehand, but I did have to look at my rough graph and figure out some points.

So A-G are those points, and I got the slope for each of those points, and so for the average acceleration I (19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared. If it's too large maybe it's because I only found the average acceleration from 1.2 seconds to 2.1 seconds? If I use it through 0 meaning: 19.8m/s is the instantaneous velocity I get at point G which is my highest given, and 5 seconds is the amount of time elapsed up until it reaches that instantaneous velocity so it becomes:

(19.8-0)/5= 3.96m/s^squared...does that make more sense as an average acceleration? But then wouldn't that mean that my initial velocity was 0m/s?

I'm getting really confused...

EDIT:
OK going back at it and plugging in the numbers in the kinematic equation to get the initial velocity I finally end up with 1.96m/s as the initial velocity.

fatherlewis said:
Thanks for the catch 0 would make more sense for the total average velocity which then gives me:

(57.5/5)=11.5m/s as the average velocity

The question asks me to plot the givens onto a distance over time graph, and then take the tangent lines of several points and get the slope of each of those lines and each of those slopes will be equal to the instantaneous velocity at that moment. I chose the 5 given points and then picked 2 of my own. It's by no way accurate of course, very much freehand, but I did have to look at my rough graph and figure out some points.

So A-G are those points, and I got the slope for each of those points, and so for the average acceleration I (19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared. If it's too large maybe it's because I only found the average acceleration from 1.2 seconds to 2.1 seconds? If I use it through 0 meaning: 19.8m/s is the instantaneous velocity I get at point G which is my highest given, and 5 seconds is the amount of time elapsed up until it reaches that instantaneous velocity so it becomes:

(19.8-0)/5= 3.96m/s^squared...does that make more sense as an average acceleration? But then wouldn't that mean that my initial velocity was 0m/s?

I'm getting really confused...

EDIT:
OK going back at it and plugging in the numbers in the kinematic equation to get the initial velocity I finally end up with 1.96m/s as the initial velocity.

In my previous post I had outlined the way to get an acceleration and initial velocity that would exactly give back the original data.

However, if in this problem they specifically want you to use a graph to find the velocity, then measurement uncertainties are to be expected. For example, in your point A you found that the tangent line to the t=2 point crosses the time axis at t=1.2. The reason we are getting different answer is because the tangent line really does not cross there; however, it is sometimes difficult to judge how a tangent line should go. (For example, for point A it's really crossing at (t=1.0,x=0).)

(Also when you calculated this: (19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared you were using the wrong times; the denominator should have been (5-2) because that's the times that you calculated those instantaneous velocities for. However from your last post I think you caught that.)

alphysicist said:
In my previous post I had outlined the way to get an acceleration and initial velocity that would exactly give back the original data.

However, if in this problem they specifically want you to use a graph to find the velocity, then measurement uncertainties are to be expected. For example, in your point A you found that the tangent line to the t=2 point crosses the time axis at t=1.2. The reason we are getting different answer is because the tangent line really does not cross there; however, it is sometimes difficult to judge how a tangent line should go. (For example, for point A it's really crossing at (t=1.0,x=0).)

(Also when you calculated this: (19.8-11.5)/(2.1-1.2)=9.2m/s^squared you were using the wrong times; the denominator should have been (5-2) because that's the times that you calculated those instantaneous velocities for. However from your last post I think you caught that.)

Yeah they specifically ask for me to graph the problem.

Thanks a lot for all your help alphysicist.

1. What is initial velocity in physics?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a motion or when a force is first applied to it. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated using the equation v0=vf-at, where v0 is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation v0=d/t, where d is the displacement and t is the time interval.

3. How does initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity of an object determines its velocity at any given time during its motion. If the initial velocity is high, the object will have a greater velocity at any point in its motion. It also affects the object's acceleration, as a higher initial velocity may result in a longer distance traveled before coming to a stop or changing direction.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. However, in most problems, the direction of initial velocity is specified, so it is important to pay attention to the given information when solving initial velocity problems.

5. What are some real-life examples of initial velocity problems?

Some examples of initial velocity problems in real life include calculating the initial velocity of a ball thrown into the air, finding the initial velocity of a car accelerating from a stop, and determining the initial velocity of a rocket launching into space. Initial velocity is a key factor in understanding the motion of objects in our everyday lives.