Proving "<x,x>=0 if x=0" in an Inner Product Space

In summary, the author is trying to prove that x=0 implies <0,0> = 0, but is not sure how to do it. The other axioms for an inner product space are: <x,y+z> = <x,y> + <x,z> <cx,y> = c<x,y>
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let V be an inner product space. Then for x,y,z [tex]\in[/tex] V and c[tex]\in[/tex]F, where F is a field denoting either R or C, prove that

<x,x> = 0 if and only if x=0.

Notes on notation:
Here <x,y> denotes the inner product of vectors x and y on some vector space V.

Homework Equations

<x,y+z> = <x,y> + <x,z>
<cx,y> = c<x,y>
And a few others.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems pretty straightforward to prove the converse, namely that x=0 implies <0,0> = 0, like this:

<-x+x,0> = <-x,0> + <x,0>
<0,0> = <0,0> + <0,0>
<0,0> = 0.

But how do I prove the "forward" conjecture? I know that x=0 iff for some y[tex]\in[/tex] V x+y = y, but I can't start with x, only <x,x> = 0, and I don't see how to "extract" x such that I can show x+y = y.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
<x | x> = 0 iff x = 0 is one of the inner product "axioms", i.e. the properties which the inner product must have in order to be one. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing to prove.

The question was from one of the theorems for an inner product space. And the author left it as an excercise to the reader.

Defennder said:

Homework Statement

Let V be an inner product space. Then for x,y,z [tex]\in[/tex] V and c[tex]\in[/tex]F, where F is a field denoting either R or C, prove that

<x,x> = 0 if and only if x=0.

Notes on notation:
Here <x,y> denotes the inner product of vectors x and y on some vector space V.

Homework Equations

<x,y+z> = <x,y> + <x,z>
<cx,y> = c<x,y>
And a few others.
What are the others? I suspect those are what you need. As radou said, most definitions of "inner product" give "<x, x>= 0 implies x= 0" as an axiom. If your book does not, then the "others" must be different from what I am familiar with.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems pretty straightforward to prove the converse, namely that x=0 implies <0,0> = 0, like this:

<-x+x,0> = <-x,0> + <x,0>
<0,0> = <0,0> + <0,0>
How does this follow? Certainly if x+ x= 0, then the left side is <0,0> but how do <-x,0> and <x, 0> become <0,0> for arbitrary x?

I would think <x, 0>= <x+ 0, 0>= <x, 0>+ <0, 0> is what you need.

<0,0> = 0.

But how do I prove the "forward" conjecture? I know that x=0 iff for some y[tex]\in[/tex] V x+y = y, but I can't start with x, only <x,x> = 0, and I don't see how to "extract" x such that I can show x+y = y.

Any thoughts?

radou said:
<x | x> = 0 iff x = 0 is one of the inner product "axioms", i.e. the properties which the inner product must have in order to be one. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing to prove.

Right. E.g. the inner product for 4 vectors in special relativity satisfies all the axioms you've stated so far, but is has null (lightlike) vectors such that <x,x>=0.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
What are the others? I suspect those are what you need. As radou said, most definitions of "inner product" give "<x, x>= 0 implies x= 0" as an axiom. If your book does not, then the "others" must be different from what I am familiar with.
Here's some more the book provided:
[tex]<x+z,y> = <x,y> + <z,y>[/tex]
[tex]<x,cy> = \bar{c}<x,y>[/tex] Here the bar denotes complex conjugation.

[tex]\overline{<x,y>} = <y,x>[/tex]
[tex]<x,x> > 0 \ \mbox{if} \ x \neq 0[/tex]
Note that the second ">" represents "greater than". But I find this to be odd, since F is treated as either R or C, and the complex numbers are not ordered in any way. The book I'm using is Linear Algebra 3rd Edn by Stephen Friedberg, Arnold J. Insel, and Lawrence Spence. The axioms can be found in the beginning of the chapter on inner product spaces, chap 6.

How does this follow? Certainly if x+ x= 0, then the left side is <0,0> but how do <-x,0> and <x, 0> become <0,0> for arbitrary x?
Well in this case, it is given that x=0, and we know that -x is the additive inverse of x in F, so -x+x = 0. Using the first axiom I just quoted above, this breaks down to <-x,0> + <x,0>. And since x=0 and -0 = 0, both reduce to <0,0>. By the law of additive cancellation, <0,0> cancels on both sides, leaving one <0,0> on one side with 0 on the other side.

<0,0> + 0 = <-x+x,0>
<0,0> + 0 = <-x,0> + <x,0>
<0,0> + 0 = <0,0> + <0,0>
0 = <0,0>

I would think <x, 0>= <x+ 0, 0>= <x, 0>+ <0, 0> is what you need.
Is this a hint for proving <x,x> = 0 implies x=0 or the one just above?

Defennder said:
[tex]\overline{<x,y>} = <y,x>[/tex]
[tex]<x,x> > 0 \ \mbox{if} \ x \neq 0[/tex]
Note that the second ">" represents "greater than". But I find this to be odd, since F is treated as either R or C, and the complex numbers are not ordered in any way. The book I'm using is Linear Algebra 3rd Edn by Stephen Friedberg, Arnold J. Insel, and Lawrence Spence. The axioms can be found in the beginning of the chapter on inner product spaces, chap 6.

The first line shows <x,x> must be real even over a complex vector space, so ordering is not a problem. I think you know <0,0>=0. Then <x,x>=0 -> x=0, right? Look at the contrapositive, x not equal to zero implies <x,x> not equal to zero.

Dick said:
The first line shows <x,x> must be real even over a complex vector space, so ordering is not a problem.
Hey that's right. I can't I missed that.

I think you know <0,0>=0. Then <x,x>=0 -> x=0, right? Look at the contrapositive, x not equal to zero implies <x,x> not equal to zero.
But how does that prove <x,x> = 0 is impossible unless x=0?

P->Q and (not Q)->(not P) are logically equivalent. P is "<x,x>=0", Q is "x=0". P->Q is what you are trying to prove. (not Q)->(not P) is "x not 0 implies <x,x> not 0". One of your axioms is "x not 0 implies <x,x>>0".

Oh I see. Sheesh. I thought that was unrelated to this problem until I understood the 3rd axiom. Thanks!

1. What is an inner product space?

An inner product space is a mathematical structure that consists of a vector space and an inner product, which is a function that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar as an output. The inner product measures the angle between two vectors and can also be used to define the length of a vector and the distance between two vectors.

2. Why is it important to prove =0 if x=0 in an inner product space?

This proof is important because it shows that the inner product is consistent with our geometric intuition. In other words, when a vector has zero length, we expect the inner product to also be zero. This proof also helps us to establish the properties and rules of inner products in a rigorous way.

3. What are the steps involved in proving =0 if x=0 in an inner product space?

The proof typically involves using the properties of inner products, such as linearity and symmetry, along with the definition of the inner product. The steps may vary depending on the specific inner product space being considered, but generally involve manipulating the given equation and using the properties to show that it equals zero.

4. Can you provide an example of an inner product space where =0 if x=0 does not hold?

Yes, an example of an inner product space where this does not hold is the space of polynomials with the inner product given by ∫a^b f(x)g(x) dx, where a and b are real numbers and f(x) and g(x) are polynomials. In this space, the inner product of a non-zero polynomial with itself can be non-zero, so does not always equal zero when x=0.

5. How does this proof relate to other concepts in linear algebra?

This proof is closely related to the concept of orthogonality, which is the idea of perpendicularity in a vector space. In this proof, we are essentially showing that the zero vector is orthogonal to all other vectors in the space. This is important in many applications of linear algebra, such as in solving systems of linear equations and finding the best approximation to a given vector in a subspace.