Inorganic chemistry: d-Metal complexes

In summary, to determine the d-electron count of a metal in a molecule, you need to:-identify the metal and locate it on the periodic table-count the number columns on the periodic table starting in the first row, the alkali metals, and ending in the row of your TM. This is the number of valence electrons in the neutral metal atom in a ligand or crystal field. In the case of chromium, this is 6, so it would be d6.-determine its oxidation state [in #1 and #2 it's Cr(II)]-subtract the oxidation state number from the number you got by counting periodic columns and you know the
jsundberg
I need some help, in explaining how to know what kind of d-metal complex a molecule is.

For example, I have:
1. [Cr(H2O)6]2+
2. [Cr(CN)6]4-

I know that #1 is d4, and #2 is d3, but that's just because it says so in my paper. How do I "calculate" it if that information is not given? Many thanks!

:eek:

(My english sucks, hope you understand what I mean).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How many valence electrons are there in each? (Hint-look at the charge)
How do the ligands on each metal effect it?

It all depends on if you are using the ionic counting system of the covalent counting system.

It looks like the 2 examples are using the ionic system.

Let me try to give a step by step way to tell the d-electron count on your metal.

1. Identify your metal and locate it on the periodic table.
  2. Count the number columns on the periodic table starting in the first row, the alkali metals, and ending in the row of your TM. This is the number of valence electrons in the neutral metal atom in a ligand or crystal field. In the case of chromium, this is 6, so it would be d6.
  3. Determine its oxidation state [in #1 and #2 it's Cr(II)]
  4. Subtract the oxidation state number from the number you got by counting periodic columns and you know the number of d-valence electrons on your central metal atom.

jsundberg said:
I need some help, in explaining how to know what kind of d-metal complex a molecule is.

For example, I have:
1. [Cr(H2O)6]2+
2. [Cr(CN)6]4-

I know that #1 is d4, and #2 is d3, but that's just because it says so in my paper. How do I "calculate" it if that information is not given? Many thanks!

:eek:

(My english sucks, hope you understand what I mean).

Cr is an exception. it has 6 valence electrons, so since water is neutral Cr is 2+ charge, so d = (6-2) = 4
CN has -1 charge so Cr charge is +2 => d=6-2 = 4

1. What are d-Metal complexes?

d-Metal complexes are coordination compounds that contain a central metal atom or ion surrounded by a number of ligands. These ligands are typically molecules or ions with lone pairs of electrons that can bond to the metal atom and form a complex.

2. How are d-Metal complexes formed?

d-Metal complexes are formed through a process called coordination or ligand substitution. This involves the ligands binding to the metal atom through the formation of coordinate covalent bonds.

3. What is the role of d-Metal complexes in inorganic chemistry?

d-Metal complexes play a crucial role in inorganic chemistry, as they are involved in many important processes such as catalysis, electron transfer, and biological functions. They also have various applications in industry, medicine, and technology.

4. How are the properties of d-Metal complexes determined?

The properties of d-Metal complexes are determined by several factors, including the identity of the metal ion, the type and number of ligands, and the geometry of the complex. Other factors such as oxidation state, electronic configuration, and coordination number also influence the properties of these complexes.

5. What are some examples of d-Metal complexes?

Some common examples of d-Metal complexes include hemoglobin and myoglobin (iron complexes involved in oxygen transport in the body), chlorophyll (a magnesium complex involved in photosynthesis), and the anticancer drug cisplatin (a platinum complex). Other examples include metalloenzymes, metalloporphyrins, and metalloproteins.