1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instaneous Power in a standing Wave

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The instantaneous rate at which a wave transmits energy along a string (instantaneous power) is

[tex] P(x,t) = =F\frac{\partial y(x,t)}{\partial x} \frac{\partial y(x,t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

where F is the tension.

Show that for all values of x, the average power [tex]P_a_v[/tex] carried by the standing wave is zero. (Equation [tex] P_a_v = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\mu F} \omega^2 A^2[/tex] does not apply here. Can you see why?)

2. Relevant equations

[tex] P(x,t) = -F sin(A_S_W(\omega t)kA_S_Wcos(kx))(A_S_Wsin(kx)\omega cos(\omega t)) [/tex]

^ Power equation calculated from part 1

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer section is in the form of a writing box (I am using Mastering Physics), Not the normal maths box.

What is the best way to show for all values of x the power is zero?

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

TFM

Does anyone have any idea what the best way is to approach this question?

Would be grearly appreciated,

TFM

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3

TFM

This is the annoying part of Mastering Physics - I can't get onto the next question until I finish this one. What I would normally do for a "Show that for all values of x..." question, I would just stick in thousands of values for x.

As you can see, any ideas would be very greatly appreciated.

TFM

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4

TFM

What is the best way to go about this question, should I just use a lot o different values, or is there a way to change the equation into an average one?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated,

TFM

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Given the instantaneous power, find the time average. What's the average value of [itex]\sin\omega t[/itex] or [itex]\cos\omega t[/itex] over a complete cycle?

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6

TFM

Since the maximam value is 1, the minimum is -1, the average will be 0.

Would you insert this intop the orginal power equation?

TFM

8. Feb 29, 2008 #7

Doc Al

I don't quite understand your instantaneous power equation. Can you check for typos? If you can write it as [itex]P(x,t) = f(x)\cos\omega t[/itex], then you can immediately see that the average is zero since the average of sin or cos is zero (they are negative as much as positive).

9. Feb 29, 2008 #8

TFM

If cos(average) = 0, then it will make the average power 0 becasue all the terms are multiplied together, so the 0 from cos(average) and sin(average) will make the whole equation = 0.

The equation is right, because I calculated it for the first part oif the question, on Mastering Physics, and it came up as it correct.

TFM

edit:

It will make the formula:

[tex] p_a_v_g = -F*(0) [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. Feb 29, 2008 #9

Doc Al

You cannot independently average different factors. You must average the entire function of t as a whole. You can show that [itex]\sin\omega t \cos\omega t[/itex] can be written as a simple sine function and thus its average must be zero.

Your equation in post #1 as you wrote it here:
    doesn't quite make sense to me. (You've got some parentheses mixed up or something.)

11. Feb 29, 2008 #10

TFM

The equation from Mastering Physics:

[tex] P(x,t) = -F (sin(\omega t)kA_S_Wcos(kx))(A_S_Wsin(kx) \omega cos(\omega t)) [/tex]

TFM

12. Feb 29, 2008 #11

Doc Al

That's better.

Now you can write that equation as [itex]P(x,t) = f(x) \sin\omega t \cos\omega t[/itex]. Then show that the sine*cosine factor is equivalent to a simple sine function and thus averages to zero.

13. Feb 29, 2008 #12

TFM

Rearranging the equation, then:

[tex] P(x,t) = sin(\omega t)cos(\omega t)[-F(kA_S_Wcos(kx))(\omega A_S_Wsin (kx))] [/tex]

do I need to use doubke angle functions to show that the sine*cosine factor is equivalent to a simple sine function?

TFM

14. Feb 29, 2008 #13

Doc Al

That's what I would do. :wink:

15. Feb 29, 2008 #14

TFM

Should I use:

[tex] sin2\theta = 2sin\theta cos\theta [/tex]

rearranging:

[tex] \frac{sin2\theta }{2} = sin\theta cos\theta [/tex]

Inserting into the equation, giving:

[tex] P(x,t) = \frac{sin2\theta }{2} F_x [/tex]

where [tex] F_x [/tex] is the other half of the equation

TFM

16. Feb 29, 2008 #15

TFM

I meant

[tex] P(x,t) = \frac{sin2\theta }{2} F_x [/tex]

TFM

(I tried editting, but it didn't change)

17. Feb 29, 2008 #16

Doc Al

Looks good, but keep it as [itex]\sin 2\omega t[/itex].

18. Feb 29, 2008 #17

TFM

[tex] P(x,t) = \frac{sin2\omega t}{2} F_x [/tex]

What would be the best thing to do now?

TFM

19. Feb 29, 2008 #18

Doc Al

Declare victory! Assuming that you accept that the average value of sin(t) = 0, you're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?