Question: How do I determine instantaneous acceleration using given data points?

In summary, the problem asks for you to find the slope of a tangent line to a graph of velocity (v) over time (t). You can approximate the slope by a secant line.
james digel

Homework Statement

A. Calculating instantaneous acceleration using formula:

1. According to ‘Table II’ data below:

i. t=5

ii. t=15

iii. t=25

iv. t=35

v. t=45

table2.png

Homework Equations

ex1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish i understood this topic enough to provide a calculation however I've been spinning my wheels looking at various intro videos and text without being able to apply it successfully to my outcome needed! Thanks all![/B]

Attachments

• table2.png
    table2.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 296
  • ex1.png
    ex1.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been researching tangent line yet need more guidance about how to properly apply the data set to the equations as I just feel as if I'm missing something crucial I can't place my finger on. Thank you!

Plot a graph of velocity Vs time. Eg fit a straight line or curve to the data, whichever is appropriate.

Pick a point in time.

Draw a tangent to the curve at that point.

The slope of the tangent is the instantaneous acceleration at that point.

Likes james digel
If the fitted line or curve can be described by an equation you can differentiate it to get an equation for the acceleration at all points. Then substitute t with the value at the point of interest.

Likes james digel
There are a couple of things to try. If you fit a straight line to your data you get something like ##v(t) = 235.6-5.55t##. This would give you a constant acceleration of -5.55. Alternatively you can estimate the acceleration between any two points by ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}## and compare results. Taking your first two points you would get ##\frac{223.19-232.8}{5-4}=-9.61##. Try it with other pairs of points and see what you think.

[Edit, added later] Another idea, since the straight line fit isn't too bad, you might just take the straight line through the first and last points and try that. Whatever floats your boat or makes the most sense given the context in which you were given the problem.

Also if you use the ##\frac {\Delta v}{\Delta t}## method you might want to use the alternate point closest to the point where you want the value.

Last edited:
Likes james digel
james digel said:
I've been researching tangent line yet need more guidance about how to properly apply the data set to the equations as I just feel as if I'm missing something crucial I can't place my finger on.
You can't get the tangent line since you are not given the formula for the function that generates the (t, v(t)) pairs of data. What the problem is asking you to do is to approximate the slope of the tangent line by a secant line. A secant line is the segment between two points on a curve; i.e., between ##(t_i, v(t_i))## and ##(t_j, v(t_j))##. To approximate acceleration at t = 5, the best results will most likely come from using the data on either side. IOW, the data for t = 4 and t = 14.

And so on, for the other times in the problem.

The crucial pieces you're missing are the concepts of tangent line and secant line. Your textbook must have a discussion of these concepts, so read up on them.

Likes james digel
Thank you, Mark44, LCKurtz, and Cwatters! I appreciate all the help I got a good 12 hours of sleep now back at it!

Judging from the datapoints you are given, they expect you to do one of two things:
- the dead simple and much the more likely - just use the speed at the given time and the nearest other time;
- as a slight variant of the above, use both neighbouring times so as to obtain two slopes, then take a weighted average so as to bias in favour of the nearer time.

Related to Question: How do I determine instantaneous acceleration using given data points?

1. What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes at a specific moment in time. It is calculated as the derivative of velocity with respect to time and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is instantaneous acceleration different from average acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated as the change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration gives information about an object's motion at a specific instant.

3. How is instantaneous acceleration measured or calculated?

Instantaneous acceleration can be measured using various methods, such as using a speedometer or accelerometer, or by analyzing position and time data using calculus. It can also be calculated using the equation a = dv/dt, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

4. What factors can affect instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration can be affected by various factors, such as an object's mass, the force acting on the object, and the direction of the force. For example, a heavier object will have a lower instantaneous acceleration compared to a lighter object when acted upon by the same force.

5. Why is instantaneous acceleration important in science and engineering?

Instantaneous acceleration is important in understanding an object's motion and can help predict how an object will move in the future. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to analyze and design systems involving moving objects, such as vehicles or machines.