Solve F=ma Concept: Urgent Help Needed! Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the students in the lab performed the same "Newton's Second Law" experiment as you did in class. However, their results showed that the hanging weight affects the acceleration of the system. When the hanging weight was increased from 0.50 kg to 0.40 kg, the acceleration increased by 0.946 m/s2.
riseofphoenix
Urgent help needed with F=ma concept! Where did I go wrong?? Help please

Use the exact values you enter to make later calculations.

A group of students performed the same "Newton's Second Law" experiment that you did in class. For this lab, assume g = 9.81 m/s2. They obtained the following results:

m1(kg) t1(s) v1(m/s) t2(s) v2(m/s)
0.050 1.2000 0.2500 1.7862 0.4123
0.100 1.2300 0.3240 1.6364 0.6502
0.150 1.1500 0.3820 1.4809 0.8067
0.200 1.1100 0.4240 1.3988 0.9511

where m1 is the value of the hanging mass (including the mass of the hanger), v1 is the average velocity and t1 is the time at which v1 is the instantaneous velocity for the first photogate, and v2 is the average velocity and t2 is the time at which v2 is the instantaneous velocity for the second photogate.

(a) Use Excel to construct a spreadsheet to do the following. (You will not submit this spreadsheet. However, the results will be needed later in this problem.)

(i) Enter the above data.

(ii) Compute the acceleration, a, for each trial.

(iii) Create a graph of the hanging weight m1g vs. the acceleration. Hint

This is what I did
Excel1_zpsa2682c14.png

(iv) Use the trendline option to draw the best fit line for the above data and determine the slope and y-intercept from it.

And then I did,
Excel2_zps47b72cf9.png

(v) report your results below.

slope = __1.045__ kg
markSprite.png
Partial credit: Your answer received partial credit.
y-intercept = _0.2345_ N
markSprite.png
Partial credit: Your answer received partial credit.

Whatttt? What am I doing wrong??

(b) Use the information you obtained from your graph to determine the total mass of the system M = m1 + m2.
M = _1.045 kg_ Partial credit: Your answer received partial credit.

(c) Using the information you obtained in parts (a) and (b), predict what the value of the acceleration would be if the value of the hanging mass were increased to m1 = 0.40 kg.

a = ______ m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org

You graphed force on the x-axis and acceleration on the y-axis. How can the y-intercept be in Newtons, then?

Muphrid said:
You graphed force on the x-axis and acceleration on the y-axis. How can the y-intercept be in Newtons, then?

Ohhh ok...

So I switched it and got
slope - 0.956 kg
y-intercept - 0.2248 N

b. 0.956 kg
c. a = ?

How would I solve for c?

The equation of the line gives you the relationship between acceleration and force for this system. If you know one, you should be able to algebraically solve for the other.

Muphrid said:
The equation of the line gives you the relationship between acceleration and force for this system. If you know one, you should be able to algebraically solve for the other.

y = 0.946a + 0.2248

ma = 0.946a + 0.2248
(0.40)a = 0.946a + 0.2248
?

Muphrid said:

I need help :(

1. How do you solve for F=ma?

To solve for F=ma, you need to use the formula F=ma where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. You can rearrange the equation to solve for any of the three variables, depending on what information is given.

2. What is the concept of F=ma?

F=ma is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration, the more force is needed to cause it.

3. Why is F=ma important in physics?

F=ma is important in physics because it is a fundamental law that explains how objects move in response to forces. It is used to calculate the motion of objects in various situations and is the basis for many other laws and principles in physics.

4. Where did I go wrong in solving F=ma?

There are several possible ways you could have gone wrong when solving for F=ma. Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula, using incorrect units, or making math errors. It is important to carefully check your work and ensure that all values and units are correct.

5. Can F=ma be used for any type of motion?

Yes, F=ma can be used for any type of motion as long as the force, mass, and acceleration are known. This includes linear motion, circular motion, and rotational motion. However, in some cases, you may need to use other equations or principles in addition to F=ma to fully describe the motion of an object.