Instantaneous current value in AC circuit

In summary, the instantaneous current at 2.968ms is not simply the peak current, but also depends on the phase angle of the impedance.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal supply defined by ## v(t)= 325.27 sin(314.16t+\frac{\pi}{6}) ## is connected
across a coil of resistance 25Ω and inductance of 0.5 H. The instantaneous value of the current at 2.968ms is
13.13 mA
21.6 mA
87.8mA
13.8mA

Homework Equations

## i(t) = \frac{v(t)}{Z} ## where Z is impedance
## Z= \sqrt{R^2 + ω^2L^2} ##
## ω= 314.16 radian/s ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## i(t) = \frac{v(t)}{Z} ##
Substituting all values getting,
2.0315 A which is not matching with any of the options.
What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal supply defined by ## v(t)= 325.27 sin(314.16t+\frac{\pi}{6}) ## is connected
across a coil of resistance 25Ω and inductance of 0.5 H. The instantaneous value of the current at 2.968ms is
13.13 mA
21.6 mA
87.8mA
13.8mA

Homework Equations

## i(t) = \frac{v(t)}{Z} ## where Z is impedance
## Z= \sqrt{R^2 + ω^2L^2} ##
## ω= 314.16 radian/s ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## i(t) = \frac{v(t)}{Z} ##
What is wrong here?
If I'm not wrong, t=2.968ms is the time elapsed after the circuit was switched on. I think you should go for transient response. Your calculations are correct, but they are for the steady state. 2.031A is the peak current. Time constant of your cicruit is 20ms.

Raghav Gupta said:
What is wrong here?
When looking for the instantaneous current, you need to consider the phase angle of the impedance. Subtract that phase angle from the v(t) phase and you will get an answer that matches one of your options.

What is instantaneous current value in AC circuit?

Instantaneous current value in an AC circuit refers to the magnitude and direction of the current flowing at a specific moment in time. It is measured in amperes (A) and varies continuously in an AC circuit due to the alternating direction of current flow.

How is instantaneous current value different from average current value in AC circuit?

Instantaneous current value and average current value are two different ways of representing the same current in an AC circuit. Instantaneous current value is the value at a specific moment in time, while average current value is the average of all instantaneous current values over a period of time.

How is instantaneous current value measured in an AC circuit?

Instantaneous current value can be measured using a device called an oscilloscope, which displays the current waveform and allows for precise measurement of the current at any given point in time. Other methods include using a clamp meter or a multimeter set to measure AC current.

What factors affect the instantaneous current value in an AC circuit?

The instantaneous current value in an AC circuit is affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the impedance of the circuit, and the frequency of the alternating current. Changes in any of these factors can result in changes to the instantaneous current value.

Why is it important to understand instantaneous current value in an AC circuit?

Understanding instantaneous current value is important for designing and analyzing AC circuits, as it is essential for determining the behavior and performance of components within the circuit. It also allows for proper sizing and selection of circuit components to ensure safe and efficient operation.