Instantanious communication (faster than light)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a tube and a wire to pass information instantly by moving the wire back and forth. However, it is explained that this method would not lead to faster-than-light communication as objects do not move instantly when pushed and instead create a wave that travels at the speed of sound. A resource is also provided for further information on FTL topics. The conversation concludes with the thread being locked.
Gaz
I have no idea where to put this and it isn't based on any theory's just common sense and is very simple

If you get a tube and put a wire in it make it as long as you want to and to pass information simply move the wire back and forth as the whole wire is moving at the same time the information transfer will be instant.

I'm pretty sure that this has got to work and doesn't violate any laws how could it it's just a wire in a tube

Science news on Phys.org
I'm fairly certain we have an FAQ on this somewhere as it gets asked quite often. In any case this won't lead to FTL communication as objects do not move instantly when you push on them, it's difficult to tell with most solids but when you push on one end you send a wave propagating through the material. This wave travels at the speed of sound. If you imagine something like jelly it's more obvious, if you had a long tube of jelly and you flicked one end you'd see it ripple down the surface. All materials do this.

I see what you mean, I didn't think that it could possibly not work it's so simple =)

Hi Gaz, Ryan_m_b have already answered, and I'd like to mention this page:
"Is Faster-Than-Light Travel or Communication Possible? - 4. Rigid Bodies" (Baez Physics FAQ)
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html#4

Furthermore, that page covers many more "faster than light" (FTL) topics (e.g. apparent FTL, commonly misunderstood examples and also some hypothetical topics).

I think that's a good place to end this thread. Thread locked.

What is instantaneous communication?

Instantaneous communication refers to the idea of being able to send information or messages from one point to another without any delay or time lag. It is often described as communication that is faster than the speed of light, which is the fastest known speed in the universe.

Is instantaneous communication possible?

At this point in time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that instantaneous communication is possible. The speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe, and there are many physical laws and principles that make it extremely challenging to achieve instantaneous communication.

Why is faster-than-light communication not possible?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that it is impossible for any object or information to travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it impossible to accelerate any further. Additionally, the concept of causality, which states that an effect cannot occur before its cause, also makes faster-than-light communication impossible.

Are there any theories or experiments that suggest faster-than-light communication may be possible?

Some theoretical models, such as quantum entanglement, suggest that instantaneous communication may be possible. However, these theories have not yet been proven experimentally, and there is still much debate and research needed to fully understand the concept of faster-than-light communication.

What are the potential implications of instantaneous communication?

If it were possible to achieve instantaneous communication, it would completely revolutionize the way we communicate and share information. It could have significant impacts on fields such as telecommunications, space travel, and even time travel. However, the ethical and philosophical implications of such a technology would also need to be carefully considered.