Integrable (summable) functions

• Thread starter dimitri151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: And I'm glad that I could help clarify it for you.In summary, a function f is considered to be integrable if it is measurable and both f^+ and f^- are integrable. This is equivalent to saying that if a function is integrable, it is also measurable and both f^+ and f^- are integrable. In order to calculate the Lebesgue integral, we must use the property that \int_E f=\int_E f^++\int_E f^-. However, there are some cases where this property does not hold, as shown in the examples of \int_{\mathbb{R}^+}{f} and \int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{\sin(x
dimitri151
Please look at attached pdf (I can't do latex in this editor).

Attachments

• question integrability f.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
Allright, a function f is defined to be integrable if it is measurable and both f^+ and f^- are integrable. Thus if you see the statement: "let f be integrable", then this will automatically imply that f is measurable and that f^+ and f^- be integrable.

So, in you words, we indeed have (f integrable) <=> (f measurable, f^+ and f^- integrable)

Furthermore, we have DEFINED that [tex]\int_E f=\int_E f^++\int_E f^-[/tex]. So if you want to calculate [tex]\int_E f[/tex], then the only way to do it is by implying this property. You cannot calculate it in another way (unless you have a theorem to prove it).

Now, your counterexample. You have indeed shown that f^+ and f^- are infinite. This means by definition that f is not integrable and that [tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^+}f[/tex] does not exist.
However, you have calculated the integral as

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}{\int_{[0,n]}{f}}[/tex]

While for Riemann integrals, this was OK (because it was essentially the definition of an extended Riemann integral). This is certainly not OK for Lebesgue integrals. This means that you can not calculate the Lebesgue integral this way. You have actually found a nice example of a function which can be calculated in the conventional sense, but which is not Lebesgue-integrable.

Note that the above is not entirely lost. In some cases we DO have that

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^+}{f}=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\int_{[0,n]}{f}}[/tex].

You will see when this holds in the so called monotone convergence theorem and dominated convergence theorem. However, the hypotheses of these theorems will fail in your example.

Another nice example is [tex]\int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}[/tex]. This is not Lebesgue-integrable (in the sense that both f^+ and f^- are not integrable). But we can calculate it as extended Riemann integrals. I.e. we can give meaning to

[tex]\int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}{\int_0^x{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}[/tex]

but then the above integral is a Riemann integral and NOT a Lebesgue integral.

Finally, note that such a situations can not occur on compact intervals. In a compact interval, it holds that every Lebesgue integral is Riemann integral...

Can you have f integrable over E and f +, f − not integrable over E?

The Lebesgue integral is a definite integrable, that means f is integrable iff |f| is integrable. For a function to be an element of L1, we need
[tex]\int_E |f| \, d\mu < \infty [/tex]

Thanks for the comprhensive reply, micromass. How come you can't use the dominated convergence theorem. If you let f_n={f, x<n; 0, x>=n} then f_n converges pointwise to f. Furthermore, f_n and f are dominated by g=1. So why then doesn't lim integral(f_n)=integral(f)?

Oh i got it. Because 1 isn't integrable over R+.

dimitri151,

There is a bug in the way the forum's message editor displays latex. When composing a message with LaTex in it, you must do a "Preview" of the page and then reload the page in your browser. Before the page is reloaded, the latex my look crazy.

The source of my confusion was the way the definition was phrased. In that case the definition is of the form 'If such and such holds about x then we say x is so and so'. It looks superficially like an 'If A then B' statement, but it isn't. Like was pointed out, it's more like 'If A then B and if B then A' or in other words 'A if and only if B'. Thanks again for the clarifying remarks.

dimitri151 said:
The source of my confusion was the way the definition was phrased. In that case the definition is of the form 'If such and such holds about x then we say x is so and so'. It looks superficially like an 'If A then B' statement, but it isn't. Like was pointed out, it's more like 'If A then B and if B then A' or in other words 'A if and only if B'. Thanks again for the clarifying remarks.

I know it can be confusing at first, but I've always seen definitions stated this way. But it's great that you've asked!

1. What is an integrable (summable) function?

An integrable (summable) function is a mathematical function that can be integrated, or summed, over a given interval. This means that the area under the curve of the function can be calculated using integration techniques.

2. How do you determine if a function is integrable (summable)?

A function is considered integrable (summable) if its integral, or sum, exists and is finite. This can be determined by performing integration techniques such as Riemann sums or using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What is the difference between an integrable function and a non-integrable function?

The main difference between an integrable function and a non-integrable function is that the integral of an integrable function exists and is finite, while the integral of a non-integrable function does not exist or is infinite. This can also be seen as the area under the curve being finite for integrable functions and infinite for non-integrable functions.

4. Can any function be made integrable (summable)?

No, not all functions can be made integrable (summable). Some functions, such as those with infinite discontinuities or those that oscillate infinitely, are not integrable (summable) over certain intervals. However, some of these functions can still be made integrable (summable) by using certain techniques such as improper integrals.

5. What are some practical applications of integrable (summable) functions?

Integrable (summable) functions have many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-life scenarios. For example, in physics, integrable (summable) functions are used to calculate work, energy, and force. In economics, they are used to calculate total revenue and profit. In statistics, they are used to calculate probabilities and expected values.