Integral + Brainfart | Solve Integral Problem

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a specific integral and asking for help. They provide their attempted solution and mention that they may be doing something wrong. They receive a response pointing out errors in their solution and suggesting a u substitution for the last term.
James889
Hai,

I have the following Integral i can't get right:
[tex]\int_{-8}^8\frac{(6e^{4x}-2)^2}{e^{4x}}[/tex]

After i squared the bracket i end up with[tex]~~\frac{36e^{8x}-24e^{8x}+4}{e^{4x}}[/tex]

So, after dividing thru by [tex]e^{4x}[/tex] i have:

[tex]36e^{4x}-24e^{4x}+\frac{4}{e^{4x}}[/tex]

Integrating gives:
[tex]9e^{4x} - 6e^{4x} +4~ln(e^{4x})[/tex]

I must be doing something wrong because i end up with the wrong answer =/
But what?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int 36e^{4x}-24e^{4x}+\frac{4}{e^{4x}}\,dx=\int 36e^{4x}-24e^{4x}+4e^{-4x}}\,dx[/tex]
You skipped the u substitution for the last term.

The third integration becomes
Int(4*e^-4x) = - e^-4x.

The second term in line 2 should be [tex] - 24e^{4x} [/tex]. Also, the integral of [tex]4e^{ - 4x} [/tex] is not [tex]4\ln (e^{4x} )[/tex]

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval.

What is a brainfart?

A brainfart, in the context of solving an integral problem, is a temporary mental block or lapse in concentration that can hinder a person's ability to solve a problem. It is often associated with feelings of confusion or frustration.

How do I solve an integral problem?

The process of solving an integral problem involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then plugging in the appropriate values to calculate the area under the curve. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions.

What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, misapplying the power rule, and making algebraic errors. It is also important to carefully consider the limits of integration and to check the final answer for accuracy.

Why is it important to practice solving integrals?

Solving integrals is an important skill in many areas of science and mathematics. It helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and it is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Regular practice can improve one's ability to solve integrals efficiently and accurately.