1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral by Trig Substitution, Calc 2

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The definite integral of ∫(x^2 √(a^2-x^2) dx from 0 to a

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So i don't need actual help with this problem. I got the answer, (π*a^4)/16 and I verified with the back of the book. The question I have is whether this problem merits an entire side of work? None of the examples my professor has given have ever been more than a few lines of work and this took me a whole side of a paper. Am I being inefficient or should I just expect this from now on?

Oh and sorry if my notation bad or if this should be on another thread, this is my first post lol .__.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess it amounts to how much you write. It requires a trig substitution followed by a double angle formula. Is that how you did it? Did you carry the limits along with the substitution or did you back substitute to x? That takes more steps. I used about 1/2 of one side of a standard sheet of paper for it.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    I decided to back substitute into x, i thought converting the limits would be a hassle on this question. I think my issue was getting a sin4θ and not knowing any quick identities to simplify. Oh well, thanks for the response

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could have changed the integration limits after substitution. If you substituted x/a=sin(u) then the integral with respect to u goes from 0 to pi/2.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook