Integral Calc: Find My Mistake - 4.75

In summary, the person is seeking help with a calculation mistake they made and is instructed to type up the problem and include their work using LaTeX/TeX formatting. The conversation also includes tips and instructions for using certain commands and symbols in LaTeX/TeX.
mikel29129
Hi,

I believe I have a calculation mistake but I don't know where.
The correct answer is: 4.75
SCTPDsb.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I can't read that clearly. Try typing up the problem along with your work. Use the \#\# (without the slashes) to begin and end latex code, \frac{numerator}{denominator} for fractions, \int_a^b for ##\int_a^b##.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Sorry, but I can't read that clearly. Try typing up the problem along with your work. Use the \#\# (without the slashes) to begin and end latex code, \frac{numerator}{denominator} for fractions, \int_a^b for ##\int_a^b##.

In LaTeX/TeX you can also use the "\ begin{\ cases } ... \ end{\ cases }" (with no spaces inside the { } pair or after the "\") command to get things like
[tex] f(x) = \begin{cases} f_1(x) & a \leq x < b\\
f_2(x) & b \leq x < c
\end{cases} [/tex]

To get a "displayed" result (rather than an in-line result), use "[ t e x] ... [/ t e x] " (with no spaces between /, t, e, x). If you use "# # ... # #" (no space) between the two initial and two final #) you will get an in-line result, like this: ##f(x) = a x^2/(b^2+x^2)##. Some things do not look very good in-line, such as ##f(x) = \frac{a x^2}{b^2 + x^2}##, but look just fine in displayed mode:
[tex] f(x) = \frac{a x^2}{b^2 + x^2} [/tex]
However, the last issue is basically one of style, not clarity. The results generally look OK if you use ##A/B## in-line instead of ##\frac{A}{B}##.

Finally, "_" and "^" work properly only for single-symbol subscripts and superscripts. To get multi-symbol scripts, enclose the script in curly brackets, so you will get ##x^{2n}## instead of ##x^2n##.

You can see the commands for the above by right-clicking on the screen image of an equation or formula and asking for a display as tex commands.

FAQ: Integral Calc: Find My Mistake - 4.75

What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with calculating the area under a curve or finding the accumulated change in a quantity over a given interval. It is the opposite of differential calculus, which focuses on finding the rate of change of a quantity.

What is the purpose of "Find My Mistake" in integral calculus?

"Find My Mistake" is a common exercise in integral calculus that helps students identify and correct errors in their integration process. It also helps students understand the importance of accuracy and precision in mathematical calculations.

How do I know if my answer in "Find My Mistake" is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or simply take the derivative of your solution. If your derivative matches the original function, then your answer is correct.

What are some common mistakes in "Find My Mistake" exercises?

Some common mistakes in "Find My Mistake" exercises include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrect algebraic manipulations, and using the wrong integration method. It is important to carefully check each step of the integration process to avoid these errors.

How can I improve my skills in "Find My Mistake" exercises?

To improve your skills in "Find My Mistake" exercises, it is important to practice regularly and carefully analyze your mistakes. You can also seek help from a tutor or classmates to get feedback on your work and learn from their approaches.