1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral calculation

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I believe I have a calculation mistake but I don't know where.
    The correct answer is: 4.75 SCTPDsb.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Sorry, but I can't read that clearly. Try typing up the problem along with your work. Use the \#\# (without the slashes) to begin and end latex code, \frac{numerator}{denominator} for fractions, \int_a^b for ##\int_a^b##.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In LaTeX/TeX you can also use the "\ begin{\ cases } ... \ end{\ cases }" (with no spaces inside the { } pair or after the "\") command to get things like
    [tex] f(x) = \begin{cases} f_1(x) & a \leq x < b\\
    f_2(x) & b \leq x < c
    \end{cases} [/tex]

To get a "displayed" result (rather than an in-line result), use "[ t e x] .... [/ t e x] " (with no spaces between /, t, e, x). If you use "# # ... # #" (no space) between the two initial and two final #) you will get an in-line result, like this: ##f(x) = a x^2/(b^2+x^2)##. Some things do not look very good in-line, such as ##f(x) = \frac{a x^2}{b^2 + x^2}##, but look just fine in displayed mode:
    [tex] f(x) = \frac{a x^2}{b^2 + x^2} [/tex]
    However, the last issue is basically one of style, not clarity. The results generally look OK if you use ##A/B## in-line instead of ##\frac{A}{B}##.

Finally, "_" and "^" work properly only for single-symbol subscripts and superscripts. To get multi-symbol scripts, enclose the script in curly brackets, so you will get ##x^{2n}## instead of ##x^2n##.

You can see the commands for the above by right-clicking on the screen image of an equation or formula and asking for a display as tex commands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted