What values of a make this set a type II region?

In summary, you can integrate through a gap in the y-bounding if you replace the y-values by the values of the function that bounds the region between the x-values.
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

Find all values of a such that this set is a type II region (i.e. the bounds of x can be represented as functions of y, while the bounds of y are constant valued)
-1<y<0, Y<x<-y (union) 0<y<1, -y+a<x<y+a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at a being any value in the bound (-inf, 0}, since if a is a value greater than 0, then the y bounds (0<y<1) start to exist outside of the region bounded by -y+a and y+a. In other words, a must be negative or 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried this, and it appears to work. Maybe I'm missing something. What's your reasoning for this?

Bump

Nicolaus said:
the y bounds (0<y<1) start to exist outside of the region bounded by -y+a and y+a
I don't understand that statement.
Call the regions A = {-1<=y<=0 & y<=x<=-y}, B = {0<=y<=1 & -y+a<=x<=y+a}. (Allowing equality won't affect integration.)
What do A and B look like, in words?
Where do they meet?
What happens if you flip the signs of a and x consistently throughout?
However, I'm not sure how to interpret the question. What sort of function of x is allowed? I originally was thinking only of 'nice' functions, so drew attention to a = -1/2. If anything is allowed, check a = +1/2.

So Region A looks like a triangle with its top vertex at the origin (the entire triangle is below the horizontal x-axis and its y coordinates range from -1 to 0); this region is bounded by x=y to the left and x=-y to the right. I am asking what values of a are allowed such that the union of regions A and B is a type II region (i.e. the x bounds can be represented as functions of y, while the y bounds are constant values).
If a is >0, the region does not fall in the 0<=y<=1 bound because the linear functions shift up away from the origin, but it works for any negative a values, I think?

Nicolaus said:
If a is >0, the region does not fall in the 0<=y<=1 bound because the linear functions shift up away from the origin, but it works for any negative a values, I think?
Check what solutions there are for y=0 in region B.
Anyway, even if there appeared a gap in the range for y, there would still be a way to treat it as a contiguous range for integration purposes. If the lower bound is expressed as y=f(x) and the upper bound as y=g(x) then through the gap region specify f=g. If that's not allowed then this categorisation strikes me as somewhat arbitrary and pointless.

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the area under a curve. It involves techniques for determining the exact size or value of a region, volume, or function that cannot be easily calculated with basic algebra or geometry.

2. How is integral calculus used in real life?

Integral calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving motion, heat transfer, optimization, and probability, among others.

3. What are the two types of integrals in calculus?

The two types of integrals in calculus are definite integrals and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a single numerical value as the result, while indefinite integrals have no limits and represent a family of functions.

4. How do you find the region under a curve using integral calculus?

To find the region under a curve using integral calculus, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points of the region. Then, you can use the appropriate integration technique, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by substitution, to calculate the area under the curve.

5. What is the relationship between integral calculus and differential calculus?

Integral calculus and differential calculus are two branches of calculus that are closely related. While differential calculus is concerned with rates of change and finding derivatives of functions, integral calculus deals with finding the area under a curve and calculating antiderivatives. The fundamental theorem of calculus connects the two branches by showing how differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other.