Proving Integral Domain of D Using Commutative Ring

In summary, to prove that the commutative ring D is an integral domain, we need to show that there are no 0 divisors. This can be done by looking at the given statement and its contrapositive, and showing that if b and c are not equal, then their product will also not be equal. This method does not require a proof by contradiction.
fk378

Homework Statement

Given a,b,c in D, with a not 0, we have ab=ac implies b=c. Show that the commutative ring D is an integral domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to show that there are no 0 divisors. Look at what's given. Look at its contrapositive.

So we want to assume it is not an integral domain, then show that b does not equal c?

Well, I know it is possible for b to not equal c because if we are in say, Z mod 6, then [0]=[3]=[6]. But how do I generalize this? Is this the right method to go about it?

You don't have to prove by contradiction. What I meant was that since we have

a [tex]\ne[/tex] 0, ab = ac implies b = c,

we also know

a [tex]\ne[/tex] 0, b [tex]\ne[/tex] c implies ab [tex]\ne[/tex] ac. Letting b = 0 or c = 0 should get you what you want.

I think Michael would be ashamed

FAQ: Proving Integral Domain of D Using Commutative Ring

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of commutative ring in which there are no zero divisors. This means that if two elements in the ring multiply to equal zero, then at least one of the elements must be zero.

2. How is an integral domain different from other types of rings?

An integral domain is different from other types of rings (such as a commutative ring or a field) because it must satisfy the additional condition of having no zero divisors. This property allows for unique factorization of elements within the ring.

3. How do you prove that a ring is an integral domain?

To prove that a ring D is an integral domain, you must show that it satisfies the following properties:

• Commutativity: for all a, b in D, a * b = b * a
  • Associativity: for all a, b, c in D, (a * b) * c = a * (b * c)
  • Distributivity: for all a, b, c in D, a * (b + c) = (a * b) + (a * c)
  • Identity: there exists an element 1 in D such that for all a in D, 1 * a = a
  • No zero divisors: for all a, b in D, if a * b = 0, then either a = 0 or b = 0

4. What is the importance of proving that a ring is an integral domain?

Proving that a ring is an integral domain is important because it guarantees that certain properties and operations will hold within the ring. For example, in an integral domain, any two nonzero elements will have a unique greatest common divisor, which is an important concept in number theory and algebraic geometry.

5. Can a commutative ring that is not an integral domain still have some of the properties of an integral domain?

Yes, it is possible for a commutative ring to have some, but not all, of the properties of an integral domain. For example, it may satisfy all of the properties except for the no zero divisors property. In this case, it would not be considered an integral domain, but it may still have other important properties and applications in mathematics.

Back