1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral equation

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    Hello,

Could you please help me to solve this equation:

G(x)= INTEGRAL[F(t)dt]

lower integral limit: x-m,
    upper integral limit: x,
    m is a constant,
    G(x) is a known function,
    F(x) is unknown and should be found.

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    Differentiate both sides?

You should get G'(x) = F(x) - F(x-m).

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    so easy? are you sure?

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    Nope, I'm not in your class, I don't know what you are learning nor what the teacher is trying to show you with that exercise but I do like giving false leads so people would do bad on their homework.

6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    I was thinking that there should be a more complex expression while differentiating th integral by a parameter x.

7. Jan 21, 2009 #6
    Maybe it is, consult FTC

8. Jan 21, 2009 #7
    what's FTS?

9. Jan 21, 2009 #8
    Not sure what FTS is but FTC is Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

10. Jan 21, 2009 #9

In the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the f(x) under integral and the final F(x) are different functions, namely f(x)=F'(x). Therefore, in my case it does not help, since my function under the integral is unknown.

This equation is easy, but not that easy.

I am now trying to solve it by reformulating through series.

11. Jan 21, 2009 #10
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus#First_part

Your G(x) is their F(x) therefore your G'(x) is their F'(x). Your F(t) is their f(t). The only difference is their integral goes from a to x and yours goes from x-m to x therefore you can generalize their version to

[tex] F(x) = \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(t) dt \Rightarrow F'(x) = f(\beta(x)) \cdot \beta'(x) - f(\alpha(x)) \cdot \alpha'(x) [/tex]

12. Jan 21, 2009 #11
    nope, ...but may be you are right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  13. Jan 21, 2009 #12
    nope what?

14. Jan 21, 2009 #13
    I wasn't claiming it's THAT easy to solve for F(x) it is not, in what I told you, I don't explicitly solve for F(x) I just give an exprsession that involves it and if your G(x) is "nice" enough you can "guess" what F(x) would have to be.

15. Jan 21, 2009 #14
    I have just derived another solution for my problem throught series, and it reads like this:

F(x)=G(x)- SUM(F(t)) {summation for t from x-m to x-1}

16. Jan 21, 2009 #15
    Your solution is probably right, and then these two solutions should be equivalent. If my solution through series is right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?