1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral help needed

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PRove that, if f is continuous on [a,b] and the integral from a to b of |f(x)|dx = 0 (thats absolute value of f(x) ), then f(x) = 0 for all x in [a,b]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

HEre is my attempt....its not very rigorous which is why I'm asking for any tips that could make this a more formal proof:

Proof by contradiction:
    Assume f(x) is not equal to zero for all x in [a,b]
    then there exists an x1 element of [a,b] such that f(x1) > 0
    Then by properties of integrals we can integrate f(x) from a to x1 and from x1 to b and add them together
    since f(x1) is greater than zero and not just a removable discontinuity (since f is stated as continusous), the area bound by x = a, x = x1, y = 0 and y = f(x) must also be greater than zero and therefore the integral from a to x1 of |f(x)|dx is also greater than zero. Since the function |f(x)| is always nonnegative, the integral from x1 to b of |f(x)|dx is also nonnegative. Since the integral from a to x1 is positive and from x1 to b is non-negative, then their sum must also be positive. But this congradicts the assumption that the integral from a to b of |f(x)|dx = 0 for all x in [a,b] , so f(x) must be 0 for all x in [a,b]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your first statement is wrong. You are asked to prove that f(x)= 0 for all x in [a,b]. The "contradiction" of that is NOT that f(x) is non 0 for all x in [a,b], it is that f(x) is not 0 for at least one x1 in [a,b]. Since f(x) is continuous, there exist some [itex]\delta[/itex] such that f(x) is non-zero (and |f(x)|> 0) for all x in [itex](x_1-\delta,x_1+\delta). Then you know the integral on [itex](x_1-\delta,x_1+\delta) is non-zero.
  4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    Ohhh I see what you mean :)
    thankss, i understand it better now
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?