Integral of a Fraction: Solving with Substitution and Integration by Parts

  • Thread starter Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fraction Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
aquitaine
Messages
30
Reaction score
9

Homework Equations



[tex]\int\sqrt{x^{3}}+1/\sqrt{x}+1[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried substitution, but that wouldn't work. I tried integration by parts, but I must not have done it properly since my answer was several factors of x off. Am I missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use parenthesis! I'm assuming your problem is:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x^3} +1}{\sqrt x+1}dx[/tex]

So, where is your work? Thanks :)
 
aquitaine said:

Homework Equations



[tex]\int\sqrt{x^{3}}+1/\sqrt{x}+1[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried substitution, but that wouldn't work. I tried integration by parts, but I must not have done it properly since my answer was several factors of x off. Am I missing something?
Please use brackets!

Now it isn't clear what your integral is. :frown:

Is it the integral below? Is het root taken only of x^3 and x or the whole term?


[tex]\int \frac{ \sqrt{x^3}+1}{\sqrt{x}+1} \mbox{d}x[/tex]
 
Assuming rocomath is correct in formulating the problem, try long division before integration
 
rocomath said:
Use parenthesis! I'm assuming your problem is:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x^3} +1}{\sqrt x+1}dx[/tex]

So, where is your work? Thanks :)

Right. Here's my work:

u=x[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]+ 1 du= [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]
dv = x[tex]^{1/2}[/tex] + 1 v= 2x[tex]^{3/2}[/tex] + x


After that I decided to check the answer before proceeding further to see if I was on the right track, which I wasn't. The books answer was (1/2)x^2 - (3/2)x[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + x + C, and I'm at a loss as to how that happened.
 
I let [tex]x=u^2 \rightarrow dx=2udu[/tex]

Then I used polynomial division.
 
Last edited:
divide sqrt(x)+1 into x*sqrt(x)+1, the integration then becomes very straight forward
 
RTW69 said:
divide sqrt(x)+1 into x*sqrt(x)+1, the integration then becomes very straight forward

Quite so, or factor [tex]x^{3/2} + 1[/tex] as a sum of two cubes...
 
dynamicsolo said:
Quite so, or factor [tex]x^{3/2} + 1[/tex] as a sum of two cubes...
Oh! Very nice, didn't even notice that.