1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral of an involved exponential

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have problem solving an integral equation of the form

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}(a\Lambda^2/(\Gamma(\gamma-\Lambda)^2))exp(\Lambda\gamma/(\Gamma(\gamma-\Lambda))-(\gamma-b)/c)d\gamma[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to solve it by substituting [tex]t=\frac{\Lambda\gamma}{\Gamma (\gamma-\Lambda)}[/tex] and able to bring it to the following from:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}-a\exp((c\Gamma t^2-(c\Lambda+\Lambda\Gamma-b\Gamma)t-b\Lambda)/(c(\Gamma t-\Lambda)))dt[/tex]
    but I'm not able to move further. Any suggestion to solve this integral will help me a lot.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

What is [tex]\Gamma[/tex]? Is it a function or just a constant? If it is just a constant, you should be able to do a further substitution and complete the square inside the exponential to get it into the form [tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{e^{au^2}}{u}du[/tex]. This has a solution in terms of the exponential integral (Ei).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook