Integral of sqrt(1+ln x)/(x*ln x), this is driving me nuts.

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Nuts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
DrummingAtom
Messages
657
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Integral of sqrt(1+ln x)/(x*ln x)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried substitutions and they seem to lead to nowhere. I need help getting started on this one. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oooppss. I got it now, I had to double substitute.
 
Did you try u^2=log(x)+1? So log(x)=u^2-1.
 
Did you try y = ln x? That should give something that you can probably integrate by using hyperbolic functions.
 
DrummingAtom said:
Oooppss. I got it now, I had to double substitute.

But...why?

u=lnx, du=1/x

thus sqrt(u)du/u= u^(-1/2)du...easy power rule, and that's only one sub...

==============
Edit: Thank you DrummingAtom for showing me an error, the likes I have made many a time.
 
Last edited:
Apphysicist said:
But...why?

u=lnx, du=1/x

thus sqrt(u)du/u= u^(-1/2)du...easy power rule, and that's only one sub...

But where does the 1 go? The answer would then be 2sqrt(ln x) which doesn't equal the original function.
 
DrummingAtom said:
But where does the 1 go? The answer would then be 2sqrt(ln x) which doesn't equal the original function.

Well you see, that would just be me neglecting the one to make it an easy question. xD

My bad.
 
=) no worries. This problem gave me about 1.5 hours of sloppy algebra and confusion. I love Sunday nights.