Simplifying a Complicated Integral: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the function \sin(2\tan^{-1}(x)) by using the double angle formula and substitution. It also introduces the concept of using triangles to solve simpler functions, but notes that the "2" in this function makes it more complicated. The final question is about how to build a new integral using the derivative of u= sin(arctan(x)).
transgalactic
i added a file with of the integral
and how i "solved" it

on the final stage of my integral i gut stuck on a
complicated fuction

is there a way to change it so it will look simpler

please help

Attachments

• tan4.GIF
    tan4.GIF
    130.8 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
So you're asking if you can simplify [itex]\sin(2\tan^{-1}(x))[/itex]? Use the double angle formula to get it in terms of [itex]\sin(\tan^{-1}(x))[/itex] and [itex]\cos(\tan^{-1}(x))[/itex]. Then if you put [itex]u=\sin(\tan^{-1}(x))[/itex], you have [itex]\cos(\tan^{-1}(x))=\sqrt{1-u^2}[/itex] and:

[tex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}=\frac{\sin(\tan^{-1}(x)}{\cos(\tan^{-1}(x))}=\tan(\tan^{-1}(x))=x,[/tex]

which you can solve for in terms of u.

you said u=sin(arctan(x))
how come i have cos(arctan(x))=(1-u^2)^0.5

i didnt understand what to do step by step

?

Because cos^2+sin^2=1.

but the "u" expression represents x

i heard of some triangle method of solving stuff like
[itex]
\sin(2\tan^{-1}(x))
[/itex]

??

transgalactic said:
but the "u" expression represents x
No, u= sin(arctan(x))

i heard of some triangle method of solving stuff like
[itex]
\sin(2\tan^{-1}(x))
[/itex]

??
For something simple, like sin(tan-1(x)), you can imagine a triangle with "opposite side" x and "near side" 1 so that "opposite side over near side" = tan(angle)= x and angle= tan-1(x). Then sin(tan-1(x))= sin(angle) which is "near side over hypotenuse". Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenus: [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 1}[/itex] and you get sin(tan-1(x))= [itex]x/\sqrt{x^2+ 1}[/itex].

However, the "2" multiplying tan-1(x) makes that much harder.

how to build the new integral
i need to build a du for that which i the derivative of
u= sin(arctan(x))

what is the full new integral?

What are some general tips for simplifying a complicated integral?

One tip is to try to recognize patterns or familiar forms within the integral. Another is to use substitution or integration by parts to break down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

How can I determine the limits of integration for a complicated integral?

The limits of integration can often be determined by looking at the original problem or by using substitution to solve for the new limits. In some cases, it may be necessary to graph the original function to determine the appropriate limits.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a complicated integral?

One common mistake is to forget to account for the change in limits when using substitution. Another is to confuse the order of integration when using integration by parts. It's also important to carefully check for algebraic errors when simplifying the integral.

How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the simplified integral and comparing it to the original function. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot both the original function and the simplified integral and see if they match.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for simplifying a complicated integral?

Yes, there are some common integrals that have well-known solutions and can be used as shortcuts. It's also helpful to memorize some basic integration formulas, such as the power rule and trigonometric identities, to simplify the process.