Solving Integral for Falling Ball in Shampoo: dv/v

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: CIn summary, the conversation discusses the drag force (F=6.5v) experienced by a ball falling through shampoo and the resulting differential equation for its motion (mdv/dt=6.5v). The speaker then explains their method of solving the equation by integrating both sides and determining the value of the constant of integration. They also mention the effect of gravity and how it can be ignored in this scenario. The conversation ends with the speaker providing the indefinite integral of dx/x and discussing the solution for the differential equation in terms of velocity (v=Ke^(6t/m)).
UrbanXrisis
say a ball falling through shampoo had a drag force of F=6.5v

the differential equation for the objects motion is:

mdv/dt=6.5v

to solve it, I get all of the v value on one side and integrate them:

dv/v=(6.5/m)(dt)
integral[dv/v]=integral[(6.5/m)(dt)]
I know that integral[(6.5/m)(dt)] becomes 6.5t/m+c, but what will happen to the dv/v?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about mg ?

ignoring the effects of gravity, sry

UrbanXrisis said:
say a ball falling through shampoo had a drag force of F=6.5v

the differential equation for the objects motion is:

mdv/dt=6.5v

to solve it, I get all of the v value on one side and integrate them:

dv/v=(6.5/m)(dt)
integral[dv/v]=integral[(6.5/m)(dt)]
I know that integral[(6.5/m)(dt)] becomes 6.5t/m+c, but what will happen to the dv/v?

the indefinite integral of dx/x is ln|x|+C

i guess if you are looking at this as a seperable differential equation you'd have

ln|v|=(6t/m)+C
|v|=e^((6t/m)+C)
|v|=e^(6t/m) * e^C
if K = +,- e^C
v=Ke^(6t/m)

i don't know, is that what you were looking for?

Last edited:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{v}dv=ln |v|[/tex]

What is an integral and why is it important in solving problems?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is important in solving problems because it allows us to find the total value or quantity of a changing quantity over a given interval.

How does a falling ball in shampoo relate to solving an integral?

The falling ball in shampoo problem involves a ball falling through a viscous liquid like shampoo. The velocity of the ball changes as it falls, making it a perfect example of a changing quantity over a given interval, which can be solved using integrals.

What is the significance of dv/v in the integral for a falling ball in shampoo?

The expression dv/v in the integral represents the change in velocity over a given interval. In the context of a falling ball in shampoo, it represents how the velocity of the ball changes as it moves through the liquid.

How can the integral for a falling ball in shampoo be solved?

The integral for a falling ball in shampoo can be solved using the power rule, which involves raising the variable by a power and dividing by the same power plus one. It can also be solved using integration by parts, which involves splitting the integral into two parts and using a specific formula to solve it.

What other real-life problems can be solved using integrals?

Integrals have a wide range of applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Examples of problems that can be solved using integrals include finding the distance traveled by a moving object, calculating the area under a demand curve, and determining the growth rate of a population.