1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Solving?

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x+5}{2x^2+2x+3}[/tex]

I would be very greatfull. :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first thing to do is to try to factor the denominator, then use "partial fractions".
    Using the quadratic formula, the roots of [itex]2x^2+ 2x+ 3= 0[/itex] are
    [tex]\frac{-2\pm\sqrt{2^2- 4(2)(3)}}{4}= \frac{-2\pm\sqrt{-24}}{5}[/itex]
    This has no real roots so certainly cannot be factored with real coefficients.

So complete the square in the denominator:
    [tex]2x^2+ 2x+ 3= 2(x^2+ x)+ 3[/tex]
    [tex]2(x^2+ x+ 1/4- 1/4)+ 3= 2(x^2+ x+ 1/4)- 1/2+ 3[/itex]
    [tex]= 2(x+ 1/2)^2+ 5/2[/itex]

Try the substitution u= x+ 1/2 and remember that
    [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+ 1}= arctan(x)+ C[/tex]

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Would be nice if you actually bothered to attempt it and show us your attempts. You could try completing the square.

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the answears.
    I haven`t got any time at all , tomorow i have the exam and i am studying some other exercises.
    I haven`t done much efforts on this one but i am asking you if you have got some time to solve it.I know it sounds strange but i still hope somebody with a god will would help.
    Another thing i wanted to ask : is there any integral solver online.(i want that to confirm the integrals i have solved). Thank you again.

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

[tex]\int\frac{(u+9/2)du}{2u^2+5/2}= \int\frac{u du}{2u^2+5/2}+\int\frac{9/2 du}{2u^2+5/2}[/tex]

The first integral should be easy; just make the substitution w=2u^2+5/2. For the second integral:

[tex]\int\frac{9/2 du}{2u^2+5/2}=\int\frac{9/5du}{4/5u^2+1}[/tex]

Make the substitution w=sqrt(4/5u^2)=u*sqrt(4/5), use [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+1}=arctan(x)[/tex], and everything else should be easy.

As for an online integrator, try http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=(x%2B5)%2F(2x^2%2B2x%2B3)&random=false

7. Jun 19, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You check your answers by differentiating them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook