Solve Integral: $\int\frac{x+5}{2x^2+2x+3}$

• Thread starter Penultimate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the first thing to do is to try to factor the denominator, then use "partial fractions". The second thing to do is to use substitution to get w=sqrt(4/5u^2)=u*sqrt(4/5), and use \int\frac{dx}{x^2+1}=arctan(x).
Penultimate
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x+5}{2x^2+2x+3}[/tex]

I would be very greatfull. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is to try to factor the denominator, then use "partial fractions".
Using the quadratic formula, the roots of [itex]2x^2+ 2x+ 3= 0[/itex] are
[tex]\frac{-2\pm\sqrt{2^2- 4(2)(3)}}{4}= \frac{-2\pm\sqrt{-24}}{5}[/itex]
This has no real roots so certainly cannot be factored with real coefficients.

So complete the square in the denominator:
[tex]2x^2+ 2x+ 3= 2(x^2+ x)+ 3[/tex]
[tex]2(x^2+ x+ 1/4- 1/4)+ 3= 2(x^2+ x+ 1/4)- 1/2+ 3[/itex]
[tex]= 2(x+ 1/2)^2+ 5/2[/itex]

Try the substitution u= x+ 1/2 and remember that
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+ 1}= arctan(x)+ C[/tex]

Would be nice if you actually bothered to attempt it and show us your attempts. You could try completing the square.

Thanks for the answears.
I haven`t got any time at all , tomorow i have the exam and i am studying some other exercises.
I haven`t done much efforts on this one but i am asking you if you have got some time to solve it.I know it sounds strange but i still hope somebody with a god will would help.
Another thing i wanted to ask : is there any integral solver online.(i want that to confirm the integrals i have solved). Thank you again.

[tex]\int\frac{(u+9/2)du}{2u^2+5/2}= \int\frac{u du}{2u^2+5/2}+\int\frac{9/2 du}{2u^2+5/2}[/tex]

The first integral should be easy; just make the substitution w=2u^2+5/2. For the second integral:

[tex]\int\frac{9/2 du}{2u^2+5/2}=\int\frac{9/5du}{4/5u^2+1}[/tex]

Make the substitution w=sqrt(4/5u^2)=u*sqrt(4/5), use [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+1}=arctan(x)[/tex], and everything else should be easy.

As for an online integrator, try http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=(x%2B5)%2F(2x^2%2B2x%2B3)&random=false

Penultimate said:
Thanks for the answears.
I haven`t got any time at all , tomorow i have the exam and i am studying some other exercises.
I haven`t done much efforts on this one but i am asking you if you have got some time to solve it.I know it sounds strange but i still hope somebody with a god will would help.
Another thing i wanted to ask : is there any integral solver online.(i want that to confirm the integrals i have solved). Thank you again.

You check your answers by differentiating them.

Related to Solve Integral: $\int\frac{x+5}{2x^2+2x+3}$

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

Why is this integral difficult to solve?

This integral is difficult to solve because it contains a quadratic function in the denominator, making it a rational function. Rational functions typically require more advanced techniques to solve, such as partial fraction decomposition.

What is the process for solving this integral?

The process for solving this integral involves breaking the rational function into simpler fractions using partial fraction decomposition, then using substitution or integration by parts to evaluate each individual fraction.

What is the final answer to this integral?

The final answer to this integral is a function that represents the total accumulation of the original function over the given interval. It will typically contain a constant of integration, as the integral is an indefinite integral.

What are some real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change, among other things.