Integral that converges or diverges?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, a convergent integral is one where the limit of the Riemann sums approaches a finite value as the partition of the interval becomes finer. To determine if an integral is convergent or divergent, you can use several methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the ratio test. A convergent integral has a finite value as the limit of the Riemann sums, while a divergent integral does not. An integral cannot be both convergent and divergent at the same time. Convergent and divergent integrals have various real-life applications in physics, engineering, economics, statistics, and finance.
tmt1
I have:

$$\int_{1}^{3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{3 - x}} \,dx$$

I can do $u = \sqrt{3 -x}$, and $du = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3 - x}} dx $ and $dx = 2 \sqrt{3 - x} du $. Plug into original equation:

$$\int_{1}^{3} \frac{2 u }{u} \,du$$ and $2 \int_{1}^{3} \,du = 2u = 2 \sqrt{3 - x} + C$

So $(2\sqrt{3 - 3}) - (2\sqrt{3 - 1})$ Or $- 2\sqrt{2}$. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have:

$$\int_{1}^{3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{3 - x}} \,dx$$

I can do $u = \sqrt{3 -x}$, and $du = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3 - x}} dx $ and $dx = 2 \sqrt{3 - x} du $. Plug into original equation:

$$\int_{1}^{3} \frac{2 u }{u} \,du$$ and $2 \int_{1}^{3} \,du = 2u = 2 \sqrt{3 - x} + C$

So $(2\sqrt{3 - 3}) - (2\sqrt{3 - 1})$ Or $- 2\sqrt{2}$. Is this correct?
Actually \(\displaystyle du = - \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3 - x}}~dx\).

Never never never never write something like \(\displaystyle dx = 2 \sqrt{3 - x}~du\). Keep the x's and u's on different sides of the equation. Yes you still get dx = 2u du but if you try to substitute the mixed expression into your integrand you can get messed up very quickly. (And, perhaps more to the point, it will confuse the reader.) Finish out the algebra to it's final form.

And you forgot to change the limits of the integration when you did the u-substitution.

Methodwise you did pretty good. (Nod) Just some detail work.

-Dan

Here's a slightly different approach...We are given:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_1^3 \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-x}}\,dx\)

This is an improper integral, so let's write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to3}\left(\int_1^t \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-x}}\,dx\right)\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=3-x\implies du=-dx\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to3}\left(\int_{3-t}^2 u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,du\right)\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle I=2\lim_{t\to3}\left(\left[u^{\frac{1}{2}}\right]_{3-t}^2\right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=2\lim_{t\to3}\left(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{3-t}\right)=2\sqrt{2}\)

Related to Integral that converges or diverges?

1. What is the definition of a convergent integral?

A convergent integral is one in which the limit of the Riemann sums approaches a finite value as the partition of the interval becomes finer.

2. How do you determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an integral is convergent or divergent, you can use several methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the ratio test. These tests involve comparing the given integral to known convergent or divergent integrals.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent integral?

A convergent integral has a finite value as the limit of the Riemann sums, while a divergent integral does not. This means that the area under the curve for a convergent integral can be calculated, while for a divergent integral, the area is either infinite or does not exist.

4. Can an integral be both convergent and divergent?

No, an integral can only be either convergent or divergent. It cannot be both at the same time.

5. What are some real-life applications of convergent and divergent integrals?

Convergent and divergent integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities. They are also used in economics and statistics to model and analyze data. In finance, convergent integrals are used to calculate the present value of future cash flows, while divergent integrals are used in the Black-Scholes model for valuing stock options.