Does Integral Transformation Apply in Equality of Modified Bessel Functions?

In summary: I apologize, it seems I misread the original integral. In summary, the two given integrals are equal and can be solved for using the substitution u=2z, leading to the integral \displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-\dfrac{(x^2+u^2)}{2u}}}{2u} \, \mathrm{d}u.
Combinatus
Change of variables for integral

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following equality holds:

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-\dfrac{(x^2+4z^2)}{4z}}}{2z} \, \mathrm{d}z = \displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-\dfrac{(1+z^2)x}{2z}}}{2z} \, \mathrm{d}z, \forall x,z \in \mathbb R_+[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained the first integral after fiddling around with the integral

[itex]K_0(x) := \displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x\cdot\cosh{z}} \, \mathrm{d}z[/itex]

using the substitution [itex]\tau := \dfrac{xe^z}{2}[/itex]. Note that [itex]K_0(x)[/itex] is a modified Bessel function of the second kind of order 0. The second integral was something I came across after playing around with Rohatgi's "product convolution" integral for independent exponential random variables for a while. Mathematica claims that the second integral is also [itex]K_0(x)[/itex], and numerical integration seems to show that the original equality holds. The integrals look similar enough that some simple transformation seems relevant, but I haven't managed to find one yet.

Obviously, determining how Mathematica concluded that the second integral is [itex]K_0(x)[/itex] would be helpful, too.

Hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting a simple multiple of z.

Likes 1 person
Substituting [itex]u=2z[/itex] in the first integral yields

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-\dfrac{(x^2+4z^2)}{4z}}}{2z} \, \mathrm{d}z = \displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-\dfrac{(x^2+u^2)}{2u}}}{2u} \, \mathrm{d}u[/itex].

Not bad! I'll try out some more elementary transformations tomorrow. Thanks!

If u = 2z, the lower denominator of the transformed integral (originally 2z) should be u rather than 2u.

SteamKing said:
If u = 2z, the lower denominator of the transformed integral (originally 2z) should be u rather than 2u.

Well, maybe I'm too tired, but isn't [itex]\mathrm{d}z=\dfrac{\mathrm{d}u}{2}[/itex]?

Combinatus said:
Well, maybe I'm too tired, but isn't [itex]\mathrm{d}z=\dfrac{\mathrm{d}u}{2}[/itex]?

You are correct.

FAQ: Does Integral Transformation Apply in Equality of Modified Bessel Functions?

What is Integral Transformation?

Integral transformation is a mathematical concept that involves converting a function or equation from one form to another in order to make it easier to solve or analyze. It is often used in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics.

What are the common types of Integral Transformation?

The most common types of integral transformation include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and Z-transform. These transformations have applications in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and physics.

What is the purpose of Integral Transformation?

The purpose of integral transformation is to simplify complex functions or equations by transforming them into a more manageable form. This allows for easier analysis and solution of problems that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

How is Integral Transformation used in science?

Integral transformation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving differential equations, signal processing, and data analysis.

Are there any limitations to Integral Transformation?

While integral transformation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of functions, and the transformed equation may not always have a physical or meaningful interpretation. Additionally, integral transformation is not always reversible, so the original form of the function may not be recoverable from its transformed form.