Integral using cauchy theorem

In summary, the Cauchy theorem, also known as the Cauchy integral theorem, is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then its contour integral along any closed path in that region is equal to zero. It is used to evaluate integrals by breaking them down into smaller, simpler pieces using Cauchy's integral formula. A contour is a closed path used in the evaluation, while a curve is any continuous path. The theorem can be applied to both complex and real-valued functions, with various applications in mathematics and physics such as solving problems in complex analysis and studying fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.
Dassinia
Hello,
I don't get why using the fact that ∫dz/z = 2*pi*i accros the circle
This integral gives:

1/3∫(1/(z-2)-1/(z-1/2))dz = 1/3(-2*pi*i) across the circle

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
Hello,
I don't get why using the fact that ∫dz/z = 2*pi*i accros the circle
This integral gives:

1/3∫(1/(z-2)-1/(z-1/2))dz = 1/3(-2*pi*i) across the circle

Thanks !

Why do you think 1/z has anything to do with (1/3)*(1/(z-2)-1/(z-1/2))??

1. What is the Cauchy theorem for integrals?

The Cauchy theorem for integrals, also known as the Cauchy integral theorem, states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the integral of that function along any closed path within that region is equal to 0.

2. How is the Cauchy theorem used to evaluate integrals?

The Cauchy theorem can be used to evaluate integrals by breaking down complex integrals into simpler ones that can be easily solved using techniques such as the residue theorem or Cauchy's integral formula.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy theorem for integrals in complex analysis?

The Cauchy theorem is an important tool in complex analysis as it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals and provides a connection between analytic functions and their integrals. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the Cauchy theorem be applied to integrals with singularities?

Yes, the Cauchy theorem can still be applied to integrals with singularities as long as the singularities lie outside of the contour of integration. In such cases, the residues of the singularities can be used to evaluate the integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Cauchy theorem for integrals?

One limitation of the Cauchy theorem is that it only applies to simply connected regions, meaning that there are no holes or gaps in the region. It also only applies to functions that are analytic within the region of integration.